Allow user to view dashboard only

New to Metabase and love it. I am on version v0.20.0 (Built on 2016-10-11). Is there a way to restrict users only to the Dashboard in view only mode? Not allow them to change any cards or create new questions etc?

1 Like

Glad you’re loving Metabase!

One way that we’re considering approaching view-only dashboards is through a feature that would allow you to share a publicly accessible link directly to the dashboard, which wouldn’t require a Metabase account, and would be read-only: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/3681

We’re also considering dashboard-level permissions for user groups, which would let you set a group’s access for a given dashboard to Read+Write, Read-only, or No Access.

4 Likes

Is it possible that query results can be shared as iFrames to be embedded into Web Pages ?

1 Like

Not presently, but that feature request is being tracked in GitHub here: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/1380

2 Likes

Hello maz

Let me congratulate you on the development of a great product metabase.

I’m eagerly waiting for the embed feature. Any idea on when the next release will be finished.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks, irarwz. We know a lot of our users are eager for an embed feature, so we are actively exploring that. In 2016, we shipped 8 releases of Metabase, so we tend to ship every 1–2 months. Thanks for using Metabase!

1 Like

Hey all! In case you missed the news, the latest release with public charts and dashboards just came out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats awesome. Thanks for letting us know.

1 Like

May I ask when the feature dashboard-level permissions for user groups will be released?

1 Like

Right now, one of the options we’re considering is reorganizing things such that dashboards would be saved in Collections, the same way that questions are. That way, teams could leverage the same Collection-level permissions they currently have. Would that meet your needs, @sakyachen?

2 Likes

Hi Maz and sakyachen,
I’d like to add that this feature (permissions for specific dashboards) would be highly useful.
Where can I get updates about the progress or release of this feature ?

1 Like

As per your documentation of V 0.25.1, you are allowing group level access for tables of database. When I have tried to setup this in V 0.23.1, It did not work.

Can you please confirm that If this feature is available now in latest version?

1 Like

@talig, this GitHub issue is probably the most pertinent one for tracking this feature. Our current thinking for how we plan on handling dashboard-level permissions is to simply have dashboards be saved in Collections, like questions currently are. This way, you’ll be able to set access to dashboards the same way you set access to questions. What are your thoughts on that?

@nowshad, can you be more specific about how you tried to implement permissions, and what was not working for you? Data access permissions (i.e., permissions for specific tables, databases, or schemas) can be set in the Admin Panel. Access to specific Collections and their contents can be set in the Questions section of Metabase. If a user doesn’t have access to any of the questions a dashboard contains, they won’t see that dashboard listed.

1 Like

@maz, we recently found out Metabase, as you explained, will not show a dashboard to a user who does not have access to any of the questions the dashboard contains. However, I think users only find out about this while using Metabase and it’s not quite obvious or explained anywhere.

I personally like the idea of including dashboards inside collections but I’d say not allowing administrators to set dashboard-level permissions would be missing an opportunity.

Best!

3 Likes

@maz I am also facing some problem while embedding dashboard in other applications…please go through this issue #6572

1 Like