Are operation logs logged when a user downloads a query result as a csv/xlsx/json file?

Are operation logs logged when a user downloads a query result as a csv/xlsx/json file?
I want to know the user id (i’am assuming its not possible, but also the ip address of the PC) of the user who downloaded a query result for security reasons.

(Metabase Version)
v0.31.2

Hi there!

In the community version of Metabase, downloads are not logged. You'll see an HTTP POST request for "/api/dataset/csv" or similar, but it won't give you further details like the user id.

That said, the enterprise version includes Auditing functionality that will show you some more details around what folks are exporting. Here's a sample of what that looks like:

More details on Auditing can be found here: Redirecting…

Thanks!

Damon

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
Will we also know the user id and the ip address of the user (i am assuming the ip address will not be logged but i wanted to ask anyway…) who downloaded the query results if we use the enterprise version?
I wanted to confirm because the sample you provided did now show the user id of the user who downloaded the query result.

Thanks!
Hiroki

Hi Hiroki,

The IP address of the user would have to be logged at your http server layer - we don't log that on the Metabase side as it would usually just be the IP address of whatever frontend is serving Metabase.

And sorry, the screenshot cut off the user, but yes that is part of the auditing information. While the GUI shows the name of the user, the API response also includes the user id.

Here's a more complete screenshot:

You'll also see information like top downloads per user and size. I only downloaded once on my example instance so the screenshot isn't terribly interesting, but it should give you an idea.

Damon

Hello Damon,

Thank you for your reply and the screenshots you provided!

Hiroki

Hello Damon,

I would like to ask another question.

What kind of data will be inserted in the "Query" column?
I'm referring to the complete screenshot you provided me (the column where "Ad-hoc" is inserted").

Is it the name of the question that will be inserted in the "Query" column?