Bug: removing default 'Field filter'

There is bug with pre-selected date filter (default filter widget value).

Problem is that when you are removing this pre-defined filter from top of query. It still applies it on background, for example you can click 'X' and will see that results did not change at all.

Will appreciate if you will fix it Metabase team :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW we updated Metabase to the latest 0.33.3.
Let me know if you have questions regarding bug.

P.S I did not find this bug report across other bugs, thus created new one. Let me know if there is duplication report.

Hi @Ismayil

I understand the confusion, but the point of the default value is that it will be used, when no filter has been defined.
I doubt this will be changed, since it would impact all the queries that expect this behavior.

Perhaps when clearing the value of a filter with defaults, it should just re-apply that filter again.
I think renaming the “Default filter widget value” to “Default filter value” would solve some of the confusion.
You’re welcome to create a new issue about this:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/new/choose

In your case, you might be able to use Complex Default Value, as described in the documentation:
https://www.metabase.com/docs/latest/users-guide/13-sql-parameters.html#setting-a-default-value
There’s just a caveat currently, it doesn’t work with Field Filters, but it was fixed last week and will be part of the upcoming 0.34.0

@Ismayil Actually re-reading the documentation, it seems like it doesn’t match at all with how things are working now. Going to investigate a bit more.

@flamber Thanks for reply!

but the point of the default value is that it will be used, when no filter has been defined.
If you expect that this filter will not be change, you have to disable it. If you allow to change this filter (as 'remove' action) -> User expect change data.

This is good feature, which I used for business, who in 90% wants to see results in 'This year', that is why I added this filter. But in another 10% they reset it, which causes issues like incorrect data displaying.

In your case, you might be able to use Complex Default Value, as described in the documentation:

Thanks! I will wait 0.34.0 at least. But I still think that this behavior is incorrect :slight_smile:

I’m making use of this functionality too, but at the very least, it’s CONFUSING - users clearing a value do not expect this behaviour, they expect WHAT THEY SEE - which is an empty field, thus “no filter”. I have to explain every new user, that no, that filter only LOOKS empty :D. It should not. It should reflect, without digging into parameter settings, that a default value is being applied. This needs a better UI approach.

1 Like

Was there any issue created for this? I agree the current behavior is super confusing and it would be much clearer if the default filter simply wouldn’t allow itself to be cleared/would reappear, or else allowed you to actually clear it. If there’s a github issue I’d love to upvote.

@ethach I don’t remember seeing any issues about restoring the default value, when filter is cleared. Or allowing it to run the query without that filter, when it’s cleared (not sure about the consequences of this, or if there might be security concerns involved too)