Cannot connect to mysql 8 database

Hi, I am trying to connect to a mysql 8.0.3 docker-based database and I get an error:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLNonTransientConnectionException: Could not create connection to database server.

I have successfully connected to mysql 5.7.

Is mysql 8 not supported yet? Is it a driver issue maybe?

I am trying to use the new window functions in mysql 8.

Thanks for your help.

-itso

It doesn’t look like it, the driver is still version 5:

https://github.com/metabase/metabase/blob/master/project.clj#L77

And version 8 is still just a RC on Maven (as well as at Oracle): Central Repository: mysql/mysql-connector-java

So if you want to be that much on the bleeding edge I guess currently your best option is to try it out with a build from source with an updated version reference where I pointed above - and see if you can get it working or not.

@crunchtoinfo Hmm - someone apparently proposed a fix to something mysql 8.0.3 related- with a PR adding a newer driver still in the 5.x.y series. Would that docker container talked about there get you going with your MySQL 8?

Hi, @jornh Thank for the followup and the info. Yeah, this will probably work. However, I decided not to use this alternate image. Instead, I put my data in MariaDB and PostgreSQL and they both connect fine to Metabase with versions that have SQL windows functions.