Cannot connect to remote MySQL database from AWS

I am not sure if this is where to start a discussion like this, but I have just installed Metabase on AWS and I am trying to connect it to a database on one of our servers.

I have the correct IP, port, db_name,db_user and password. However, when I try to connect I get the following error.

“No matching clause: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.”

I am not trying to connect remotely with the “root” user.
Is there some configuration that is required on my server?
If so, where can I find this information?

Thank you,
E.

Since it’s AWS, do you have the Security Group configured on both instances to allow the necessary inbound/outbound connections?

Hi,

Well, I thought that by using the get started guide it would have all been covered in there. However, it looks like it was not.
I went back into the VPS section and added an Inbound rule for my Security Groups that allows traffic on port 3306.

Secondly, I went to my remote server and changed the bind-address value in the my.cnf file from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0.

This seems to have resolved the database connection issues.

As this is pretty common, it would seem necessary to add something to this effect into the documentation.

Thank you for you help.

Can some one point me to the necessary inbound/outbound connections please!