Column Styles Broken By 0.33?

Hi, I couldn’t find anything on this, maybe there’s a simpler solution.

I’ve updated Metabase to 0.33 yesterday and noticed that all the custom-set column types (Percent and Currency, which we’re using extensively) have been reset to default.

Snooping in the database, I’ve discovered that report_card.visualization_settings column is being filled differently in 0.33, though the old settings are still there. An example:

{
“table.pivot_column”: “Cohort”,
“table.cell_column”: “ARPU”,
“column_settings”: {
“[“name”,“ARPU”]”: {
“number_style”: “currency”,
“currency_in_header”: false
},
“[“name”,“IAP ARPU”]”: {
},
“[“name”,“Ad ARPU”]”: {
},
“[“ref”,[“field-literal”,“IAP ARPU”,“type/Decimal”]]”: {
},
“[“ref”,[“field-literal”,“Ad ARPU”,“type/Decimal”]]”: {
}
}
}

The “ref” blocks were added when trying to restore the original style. The other bits have been there before, but apparently no longer amount to anything (as a bonus, the “ARPU” column has long been removed from Question, but remains as clutter for some reason).

Why?

Is this a major bug (will it be fixed anytime soon?), or are column styles not supposed to be backwards compatible, and I need to start updating the massive heap of Questions we have?

Hey, @dreamdweller. To help us look into this, how had you set these column formatting settings?

1. On each individual question using the chart options.
  2. From the Data Model section of the Admin Panel on individual columns.
  3. From the global Formatting settings in the Admin Panel.
  4. Some combination of the above.

I’m assuming you were primarily using method #1 given the snippet you posted, specifically the report_card.visualization_settings bit.

Also to clarify, are you saying that previously saved questions lost their formatting settings, but that new questions can correctly be formatted with currency/percent etc.?

Thanks again.

Thank you.
Your assumptions are correct.
Most (if not all) of those formatted result columns are being calculated, in SQL type Questions, so it is case #1.
And yes, pre-0.33 Questions lost the formatting, which can be fixed manually (tedious though), and new questions can be set up fine.

1 Like

@DreamDweller Thank you. I have identified the problem and we will fix it in 0.33.1: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10703

Also, the fix will restore those settings, they are not lost (the logic for how the settings reference specific columns accidentally changed in some cases, specifically nested questions, but we can fix it)

That’s great, thanks.

I can't change currency to Brazilian Real anymore in SQL mode.

@kelsen.faria The currency issue is tracked in https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10787