Connecting to different databases at the same time?

Can Metabase connect to different databases at the same time? I’m new to Metabase, and I use PostgreSQL, and also ElasticSearch, and I imagine it’d be useful to collect statistics both on data in Postgres, e.g. active users, churn rate etc, and also on textual contents in ElasticSearch too, e.g. to visualize what topics people are talking about (I’m developing discussion software), maybe in a word tag cloud or something, or a table about frequently used category or tag names.

I don’t have in mind to do any type of SQL join between different databases. Instead, an ES query would touch the ES database only, and a Postgres query would use Postgres tables only.

Hi @kajmagnus
Yes, you can connect to multiple (different types of) databases at the same time - just add them:

1 Like

I’m not sure about this being what he is actually after. I think he is more into this:

For now, what you can do to display data from different sources is to create questions, each one for the data in its respective database, and, then, create a dashboard to show them all at once. Using line charts, you can even put data from different databases into the same chart. But that is as fa as you can go right now.

2 Likes

You can use linked databases in SQL Server. then you just query the SQL Server and it connects to the other databases for you. Transparent to the end user.
Difficulty of using multiple databases is always going to be performance, so use with care.

1 Like

Ok thanks @flamber, that’s what I was looking for / hoping would be possible, … apparently doesn’t currently support ElasticSearch, so, @AndrewMBaines, probably I’d need to do in the way you suggested, but Postgres rather than SQL Server.

@lucas.lima I wasn’t looking to join tables across different databases, at least not at this time, thanks anyway. Interesting that one can " Using line charts, you can even put data from different databases into the same chart." — didn’t know, woudn’t have guessed.

2 Likes