Corrupted Dashboard

I have a dashboard that was previously working but after adding a few tiles it seems to have become corrupted. You can see in the screenshot one of the questions is sitting on top of the other question. If I try to move the question, it becomes "stuck" to the cursor and I can't cancel out. The only fix is to close the browser.

I see the below error in the console

About 2 seconds after posting this, something occurred to me: one of the tiles was stored as a number but was returning multiple results. As soon as I added a limit 1 to the question, the dashboard was able to load and I was able to edit the overlapped tiles. No idea if this makes sense but I was able to fix it that way.

@tjmule Trying to reproduce - but please post “Diagnostic Info” from Admin > Troubleshooting.

{
“browser-info”: {
“language”: “en-US”,
“platform”: “MacIntel”,
“userAgent”: “Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_3) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.97 Safari/537.36”,
“vendor”: “Google Inc.”
},
“system-info”: {
“file.encoding”: “UTF-8”,
“java.runtime.name”: “OpenJDK Runtime Environment”,
“java.runtime.version”: “11.0.7+10-post-Ubuntu-2ubuntu218.04”,
“java.vendor”: “Ubuntu”,
“java.vendor.url”: “https://ubuntu.com/”,
“java.version”: “11.0.7”,
“java.vm.name”: “OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM”,
“java.vm.version”: “11.0.7+10-post-Ubuntu-2ubuntu218.04”,
“os.name”: “Linux”,
“os.version”: “5.3.0-1019-aws”,
“user.language”: “en”,
“user.timezone”: “Etc/UTC”
},
“metabase-info”: {
“databases”: [
“mysql”,
“postgres”
],
“hosting-env”: “unknown”,
“application-database”: “mysql”,
“application-database-details”: {
“database”: {
“name”: “MySQL”,
“version”: “5.6.40-log”
},
“jdbc-driver”: {
“name”: “MariaDB Connector/J”,
“version”: “2.5.1”
}
},
“run-mode”: “prod”,
“version”: {
“date”: “2020-04-21”,
“tag”: “v0.35.3”,
“branch”: “release-0.35.x”,
“hash”: “1d424cb”
},
“settings”: {
“report-timezone”: null
}
}
}

@tjmule I haven’t been able to reproduce this on 0.35.3 - can you provide more information about the question etc?
I know we fixed several null-issues in 0.35.4 - like this, which has the same error, but most likely not related at all to your issue:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/12232

EDIT: Looking at your MySQL version, I’m sure that’s not helping. Guessing it’s AWS’s version and not your own instance. Don’t think it support utf8mb4 - and probably several other issues too. Minimum supported version is 5.7.7 (though it might be possible to use earlier version, but that will require some manual adjustments)

Yeah, honestly I’m happy to close the issue. I think it’s definitely a weird edge case and I sorted it out on my own. Apologies for having you chase this one!

@tjmule I definitely want to nail this if we can find a way to reproduce. The dashboard shouldn’t break because a result doesn’t match the original defined visualization. And most other people probably wouldn’t know the changes made like you do, so this can become a really bad experience for a novel user.
We had a couple of similar “sticky” dashboard issues in 0.34, so I don’t want people to think that it’s a regression of any of those.

I would call it P2, but I need some way to reproduce - otherwise we’ll just keep having thousands of non-fixable issues, which I’ve done my best to cleanup.

Well dang y’all are awesome. let me see if I can reproduce it!

1 Like

@tjmule Just pinging, since I’ve been going through multiple issues and stumbled over this, which sounds very similar, but again without steps-to-reproduce.
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/11142
Have you been able to nail anything that could help me track this bad-boy down?

The screenshot - is that showing all the cards on the dashboard?
I’m noticing that the card actively being dragged, has two y-axis, but only the right y-axis is shown - anything to do with that perhaps?