Documentation translation

Hi, I have found no translation effort for the documentation. I would like to start the documentation to French. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking of creating a PR with a docs/french/ folder… would that be OK?

Hi @ywarnier

Thank you for the effort! I would recommend that keep the translation on your own repo (and please put a link here as well) until we have a way to support multiple languages.

I don’t think we cannot accept a PR with the current structure of our documentation, but we would love to be able to provide multi-lingual docs in the future.

I’ve created an issue to track this:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/13321

Just want to point out that the documentation is a much bigger translation project than the in-app strings.

Hi @flamber
I don’t plan to translate all of it myself (more like starting on a specific manual) but yes, I know it’s longer than in-app. I have experience with that.
Thanks for the issue. I didn’t know if it was appropriate to create an issue for that. I’ll follow up there.

Just a heads up: following wc, there’s about 1.1M words to translate in the current docs/ directory:
find . -type f -print0 | wc -w --files0-from=-

@ywarnier It’s “only” 90,312 words - you included images as well:

find . -type f -name "*.md" -print0 | wc -w --files0-from=-

I feel much better already :slight_smile:

@ywarnier Isn’t that we call a long weekend? :wink:
I remember translating Thunderbird (0.2alpha) in a weekend, but I think it was only 12,000 strings, so probably less than 50,000 words.

I already made some progress.
It’s much better than I though: many words are in links and the API documentation (a big file) is generated automatically so there’s no need for a translation.

Being the main documentor in our project, I am impressed by the quality (both syntactic and pedagogical aspects) of the documentation of Metabase. Kudos to whomever wrote that.

1 Like

@ywarnier There are several people trying to maintain the documentation, but it was largely written by Maz, and now mostly by Jeff - with random fly-by commits from others on the team.

1 Like

Spanish translated a few md files for now