Failed to connect to database: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException

Server crashed unexpectedly. Now when I restart using the JAVA -jar metabase.jar i get

03-01 11:17:46 INFO metabase.db :: Verifying h2 Database Connection …
03-01 11:17:47 ERROR metabase.driver :: Failed to connect to database: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: General error: “java.lang.NullPointerException” [50000-193]
java.lang.AssertionError: Assert failed: Unable to connect to Metabase h2 DB.
(binding [allow-potentailly-unsafe-connections true] (require (quote metabase.driver)) ((resolve (quote metabase.driver/can-connect-with-details?)) engine details))
at metabase.db$verify_db_connection.invokeStatic(db.clj:341)
at metabase.db$verify_db_connection.invoke(db.clj:334)
at metabase.db$verify_db_connection.invokeStatic(db.clj:337)
at metabase.db$verify_db_connection.invoke(db.clj:334)
at metabase.db$setup_db_BANG_.invokeStatic(db.clj:390)
at metabase.db$setup_db_BANG_.doInvoke(db.clj:383)
at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:421)
at metabase.core$init_BANG_.invokeStatic(core.clj:113)
at metabase.core$init_BANG_.invoke(core.clj:93)
at metabase.core$start_normally.invokeStatic(core.clj:196)
at metabase.core$start_normally.invoke(core.clj:190)
at metabase.core$_main.invokeStatic(core.clj:288)
at metabase.core$_main.doInvoke(core.clj:283)
at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:397)
at clojure.lang.AFn.applyToHelper(AFn.java:152)
at clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo(RestFn.java:132)
at metabase.core.main(Unknown Source)
03-01 11:17:47 ERROR metabase.core :: Metabase Initialization FAILED: Assert failed: Unable to connect to Metabase h2 DB.
(binding [allow-potentailly-unsafe-connections true] (require (quote metabase.driver)) ((resolve (quote metabase.driver/can-connect-with-details?)) engine details))

I have tried deleting the lock file too. Still no result. I dont have a back up. Is there a way I can get my queries back or have it up and running

Here's a process I would try to follow (apologies up front for the slightly :smiling_imp: sarcastic tone):

1. :scream: Unless you're Chuck Norris (see #7)
  2. Make a backup copy ... no make that two ... one in a separate folder to experiment on ... and another one tucked away in a safe place ....of your presumably broken Metabase H2 database. (It's probably named metabase.db.mv.db) - perform all following steps on that first experiment copy of the file.
  3. "Install H2" - meaning place a copy of h2-<something>.jar - from http://www.h2database.com in your experiment folder.
  4. Try to see if e.g. other experiences already shared in this forum works -
    e.g. a quick search turned up: Unable to connect to Metabase h2 DB - #2 by eduavencama
  5. If the previous step didn't work, try your luck with the H2 recover tool
  6. depending on the outcome of the previous step (which I haven't tried myself, because I don't currently own a broken H2 database) try gently salvaging - either by starting a copy of metabase.jar in your experiment folder on the repaired H2 database or otherwise manually ... extract/dump whatever can be extracted.
  7. Now go and revise and follow your procedures regarding backup - including making sure that you can actually work with data you restore.
  8. Share your experiences here in http://discourse.metabase.com