Having availability issues after upgrade to 0.32.9

A few minutes after upgrading to 0.32.9 I started having availability issues. Metabase would go down for several minutes and then become available again. This has been happening several times a day since the upgrade. I’ve tried reinstalling to no effect.

I’m running the Docker image and haven’t done any customizations. It’s been operating flawlessly for the last year.

It seems related to the database sync/scan because I found this in the logs during those unavailable times:
INFO sync.util :: FINISHED: Sync metadata for mysql Database 2 ‘mydb’ (11 mins)
07-05 07:10:49 DEBUG sync.util :: Sync operations in flight: {:analyze #{2}}
07-05 07:10:51 INFO sync.util :: STARTING: Analyze data for mysql Database 2 ‘mydb’
07-05 07:11:01 DEBUG sync.util :: STARTING: step ‘fingerprint-fields’ for mysql Database 2 ‘mydb’
07-05 07:15:22 INFO middleware.exceptions :: Request canceled before finishing.
07-05 07:15:24 INFO middleware.exceptions :: Request canceled before finishing.
07-05 07:16:01 INFO middleware.exceptions :: Request canceled before finishing.
07-05 07:16:17 INFO sync.analyze :: fingerprint-fields Analyzed [·············································] :cry: 10% Table 53 ‘users’
07-05 07:17:51 INFO sync.analyze :: fingerprint-fields Analyzed [········································] :disappointed: 20% Table 103 ‘user_logs’
07-05 07:18:13 INFO sync.analyze :: fingerprint-fields Analyzed [
···································] :confused: 30% Table 153 ‘user_pages’
07-05 07:18:14 DEBUG sync.util :: FINISHED: step ‘fingerprint-fields’ for mysql Database 2 ‘mydb’ (7 mins)

It seems to happen during the sync but not always at the same place in the sync. Any ideas? Thanks!
Kevin.

1 Like

Hi @kevind
Which version did you upgrade from?
Which version of MySQL?
So you’re not seeing any errors? Was it normal that sync took 7 minutes in the earlier version?
Do you see anything in your MySQL log?

Which version did you upgrade from? I’m not positive but I believe it was 0.30.4. Certainly in 0.30.x.
Which version of MySQL? MariaDB 5.5.64
So you’re not seeing any errors? Was it normal that sync took 7 minutes in the earlier version? I’m not sure how long it normally took because it happened in the background. I had the “This is a large database…” disabled. The database is roughly 670MB. The only errors in the metabase logs are about the middleware.exceptions.
Do you see anything in your MySQL log? Unfortunately it looks like MySQL logging was not working or I could not find the log. I’ve now configured it.

@kevind
Okay, I would guess that the problem comes from you using MariaDB 5.5
With 0.32, the driver changed to MariaDB Connector/J , which has caused issues for some people using MySQL 5.6 or earlier.
Currently Metabase “officially” only supports MySQL 5.7+ and MariaDB 10.2+ - while some people can get it to work with older version, you might need tiny database configuration.

I would consider your database fairly small, so I’m not sure why it would take 7 minutes to sync/scan. But hopefully with your MariaDB logging, you’ll get more insight into what is going on and why it’s slow.