and that I create the following question:

• Continent is Asia
  • View SumOf(Population)
  • GroupBy Country

I thus get following result:

Country Population (M)
Afghanistan 35.5
Bangladesh 164.7

Now imagine I include this question in a dashboard, with Country as a filter.

Problem

The country filter let me select among 3 options: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Croatia… however, selecting Croatia will lead to empty result, as it get striped out by the “Continent is Asia” filter.

This makes the whole UX a bit confusing, especially if I’ve titled the dashboard “Asia facts & figures”!

Question

Is there a way to remove “impossible” options in the filter (in our case, remove Croatia from the Country filter)?

This has been discussed widely - search for ‘cascade’ to see all the previous discussion.

Short answer is ‘no’. However, you can embed the dashboard in an IFRAME and write something in the host page to set the parameters.

1 Like

Thank you: “Cascade” is the keyword I was missing!

➥ Related GitHub issue: Limit the number of options displayed in a filter based on the selection of another filter

@ebosi, Please upvote Limit the number of options displayed in a filter based on the selection of another filter. #5540 on GitHub if you haven’t already. This is one of those desperately needed basic filter enhancements that would make a huge difference for a great many users.

Already done (-;