Working with JSON

Hi everyone,

I have a column that contains JSON from our SQL database. I managed to transform the JSON column into separate columns using the SQL query within Metabase.

However, it looks like I don’t have options UI to make simple actions like filtering, grouping, join with my newly created table. To perform any of these actions I have to modify my original SQL request.

Is it possible to make a workaround within Metabase to work with JSON to have the options to filter, group, and so on using UI?

Or is it something that needs to be done with the table before importing it into Metabase?

I’m sorry if my question doesn’t sound clear as I’m not technically oriented but we have people in our team that can help me with the technical implementation. I just want to know if it is possible to do within Metabase or we have to adjust our database first.

Thanks!

Hi @dhodosok

Metabase currently doesn’t support accessing the JSON structure like that - one of the most requested features:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/708 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

You would have to create database views, so Metabase just sees the final expanded result.

1 Like