AWS EB deployment error using MySQL as application database

Hello!

I’m having problems when deploying to elastic beanstalk. My goal is to have the EC2 instance managed by EB and create a RDS instance separately so they are not coupled. I’m following this guide except for the part of attaching a RDS instance. And I’m using metabase v0.33.6.

When I have been testing metabase I can properly see and use the metabase engine because it’s using the local h2 storage. So what I do when trying to deploy for a production environment is to deploy the help of EB and then set the following environment variables:

export MB_DB_TYPE=mysql
export MB_DB_DBNAME=metabase
export MB_DB_PORT=3306
export MB_DB_USER=my_username_with_permissions
export MB_DB_PASS=my_password
export MB_DB_HOST=rds_host

After the environment restarts I receive a 502 nginx bad gateway error when accesing to the EB url. Sometimes I was able to see a page in which it seemed to be configuring some tables. In the database it created two tables DATABASECHANGELOG and DATABASECHANGELOGLOCK. I’ve been using a t2.large EC2 instance to not run out of memory or CPU and a db.t3.small database instance.

The nginx error log shows something like:

connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client

There are any logs at /var/log/metabase. I can’t provide more log details right now cause I’ve terminated all my instances but I can replicate all of them.

I’d really appreciate any help with this or maybe some hints of what it can be going on.

Thanks!

Hi @jabascal
I don’t use EBS, but the current way Metabase does the one-click-deploy script is by defining Postgres manually, so if you want to use MySQL, you would need to mess around with some of the that.
Have a look at this issue comments: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/9021#issuecomment-505091215
If you’re using EBS, you should be able to find the logs via the AWS interface - it should include the Metabase logs, as well as several other logs.