Best practice: Groups vs. Separate Installations?

:wave: Hello Metabase Community.

I’ve been using Metabase for more than a year now.

I’m a consultant, and I’d like to provide access to Metabase for each of the organizations I work with.

My question is: In your experience, is the security model of Groups sufficient for this – where each organization would be in its own Group with access to just their own data/databases – or would it be more sensible to set up each client with their own installation of Metabase?

These are small organizations, so there would not be more than one group of Metabase users per organization.

:pray: Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences on the above,
Phillip.

Hi @phillipadsmith

The good old: It depends :wink:

I don’t know exactly what you mean by “organizations”, but if it is different companies, then I would probably make an install for each, since one company might request a specific feature (e.g. Google Sign-in) that others don’t want/need, or want to have more admin-style rights (since they’re accessing their own databases).

Generally it depends on what the companies are asking for and what your service level is.

1 Like

I don’t know exactly what you mean by “organizations”, but if it is different companies

Different companies, yes (though they might not be companies per se, i.e., they're often non-profit organizations).