I’m need to configure a group of users to view and interact with dashboards, and export data. And that’s all. These users will not browse data or create their own views.
So far I can see two ways of going about it. I can make the user a Metabase user and configure the permissions accordingly, or, I can enable the share/embed option and send a link to the user (who does not have to be a Metabase user). Here are my findings with each method:
Configure Metabase user:
Basically I’m trying to disable all the out-of-the box options for this particular group, i.e.:
- no X-Ray
- no ‘Ask a question’
- no ‘Browse data’
- no Edit/Move dashboard
- no Duplicate dashboard
- no Share/Embed
I have partial success so far:
- OK - can disable X-Ray in Admin settings
- OK - disable all Data permissions (Data access + SQL queries) in Admin settings
- OK - same as #2
- OK - let user group ‘View’ dashboard only (not ‘Curate’) in Collection permissions in Admin settings
- … this button is still there, is there any way to disable it?
- … this button is still there even for regular users, which is odd because when enabled in settings I thought it’s only for Admin users, is this a bug?
Sharing a link to view the dashboard:
This option does almost everything I want, i.e. user who browses the published link can view and interact with the dashboard, without any other options/buttons, but, they cannot export the data.
So, long story short, is there any way I can achieve the kind of user restriction I’m looking for? Please can you advise.
Thanks and regards,