Displaying Foreign Key Names Breaking Filtering

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just doing this incorrectly but this is definitely un-intuitve behaviour IMO.

I was having issue in my production Metabase instance so I moved to local with a smaller dataset and was easily able to reproduce the event.

I have a GameSettings table that looks something like this '

Where mode maps to a foreign key table with ID and name to map it to english readable values.

Everything is great. I can link to foreign keys and easily filter via mode.id or mode.name. But when I try to use the feature Display Values strange things start happening to metabase. This is what my current settings look like.

After turning on this feature my table looks like this. Which is exactly what I want, an english readable table.

The problem is that when I use the UI to filter the mode column now it only gives me the English versions of the mode.

And when I try to select one of them, it doesn't filter anything because the english name is just a display, the true value is the int. This is the error that gets thrown when I try to filter the column.

I don't understand how to make this feature useful. I turn on Display Values and it makes the table more english readable but then it makes it impossible to further filter the data I want. Which is why it makes me feel like this might be a bug? I also cleared cache to make sure none of my filter options were cached and nothing appears to work, it just breaks the filtering ability after turning on this feature.

Hi @jeffDeon
You're seeing this issue:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/13235 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

1 Like