Issue with mail subscriptions in v0.42.2 (jar)

It's all OK with e-mail settings: test email is successfully sent and arrives to destination.

When I set up a mail subscription on a dashboard the mail is not being sent (but the feedback onto the button says "Email sent") and does not arrive to destination.

I've tried to change sender e-mail but no luck.

DEBUG logs do not show any error/exception when I click "Send mail now" on a subscription.

Any suggestions?

Here is my diagnostic info:

{
"browser-info": {
"language": "en-US",
"platform": "Linux x86_64",
"userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/99.0.4844.51 Safari/537.36",
"vendor": "Google Inc."
},
"system-info": {
"file.encoding": "UTF-8",
"java.runtime.name": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
"java.runtime.version": "11.0.13+8-LTS",
"java.vendor": "Red Hat, Inc.",
"java.vendor.url": "https://www.redhat.com/",
"java.version": "11.0.13",
"java.vm.name": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
"java.vm.version": "11.0.13+8-LTS",
"os.name": "Linux",
"os.version": "4.18.0-193.14.2.el8_2.x86_64",
"user.language": "en",
"user.timezone": "CET"
},
"metabase-info": {
"databases": [
"mysql"
],
"hosting-env": "unknown",
"application-database": "mysql",
"application-database-details": {
"database": {
"name": "MySQL",
"version": "8.0.17"
},
"jdbc-driver": {
"name": "MariaDB Connector/J",
"version": "2.6.2"
}
},
"run-mode": "prod",
"version": {
"date": "2022-02-28",
"tag": "v0.42.2",
"branch": "release-x.42.x",
"hash": "d6ff494"
},
"settings": {
"report-timezone": null
}
}
}

Hi @vix-db
There should be a log line like this if you just add a recipient and click "Send email now":

2022-03-09 10:37:34,020 DEBUG middleware.log :: POST /api/pulse/test 200 7.0 s (19 DB calls) App DB connections: 0/15 Jetty threads: 4/50 (2 idle, 0 queued) (115 total active threads) Queries in flight: 0 (0 queued); h2 DB 4 connections: 0/1 (0 threads blocked)

If there's a show a log line, then check your SMTP server logs, since Metabase receives a 200 confirmation from that, and from there it is impossible for Metabase to know where it might get dropped.

Yes, I've already noticed that log line! It is in my logs!
But I cannot understand WHY the TEST arrives and the subscription mail does not.
Moreover I used 3 different SMTP servers: all show the SAME problem (test OK, pulse NOT OK)

@vix-db Likely because you have some spam filter that blocks the email on the destination.
Tracking email delivery failures is complicated and requires you have access to SMTP logs.

Maybe... I checked that my IP address is listed in Spamhaus blacklist...
But I if the sender IP address in that blacklist it could prevent ANY email from being sent... isn't it?

@vix-db Your SMTP logs should tell you what is happening with the email. I would recommend that you search the internet for how to debug email delivery, since it's not specific to Metabase.
Since you are receiving the test emails, then it is unlikely that it is an IP blocking problem.