Managing columns in a model

I encountered the issue that if I create a model and then later want to add more columns to it (e.g. because the source table changed slightly) I sometimes cannot even add the model definition or at least I cannot use these new columns in existing Charts or Questions. I then ended up creating duplicates of the old model, but this leads to charts referring to inconsistent models.

According to the documentation I should be able to edit the model later on right? But the definition appeared to be completely empty like I was starting from scratch.

Since the hotswap of data sources is not available yet this was really frustrating.

I would have expected to be able to modify an existing model like you do with Data Studio or Superset.

I don't know if it's a bug, some weird caching issue or just how models currently behave....

Can anybody help me out?

1 Like

Hi @thiebenthal
Please post "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what is going on. Can you include some screenshots, so it is easier to understand the context?

There's a browser cache, so if you are viewing your question, then go to the Model and modify the columns, and then go back to the question, then you need to do a browser refresh before you can see the changes you made in the Model.
There's an issue for that:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/22518 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post