Metabase w/ Elastic BeanStalk - Where are my configs?

Hello. I am tinkering with Metabase in an Elastic Beanstalk environment. I have it connected to an AWS hosted AWS MySQL RDS service. I was adjusting some various values in the Metabase UI like LDAP settings. I assumed the changes would be stored in my RDS instances, but I see NO new database tables created containing this data. Did I miss a step somewhere?

Hi @TomT
Metabase currently does not support MySQL RDS, only Postgres RDS, so your data is stored there - unless you told it not to use RDS, which means it’s stored in H2 on the container and you’ll lose the information if you restart the container.
I would recommend starting over, and connect to Postgres RDS:
https://www.metabase.com/docs/latest/operations-guide/running-metabase-on-elastic-beanstalk.html

You can check Admin > Troubleshooting > Diagnostic Info to see which application database is being used.

Flamber,
Thanks for the reply. My v0.35.3 version of Metabase has a drop option that lists MySQL. This gives me the impression it supports it MySQL. shrugs

@TomT I don’t understand what you mean, where? The latest release is 0.36.4
Metabase support MySQL as it’s application database, just not on EBS:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/9021 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

Again, thanks for the help. Perhaps, I misunderstood you. You said, “MB doesn’t support MySQL RDS”. My version, 0.35.3 has a drop down database type that includes MySQL. This gives me the impression that MySQL is a supported database option. Unless you’re trying to say MySQL (self installed = supported) vs MySQL RDS (not supported).

Thanks,
Tom

@TomT Please post “Diagnostic Info” from Admin > Troubleshooting.

There’s two types of databases in Metabase - the internal application database, where all Metabase information is stored - and your external databases (data sources) setup in Admin > Databases.

{
“browser-info”: {
“language”: “en-US”,
“platform”: “MacIntel”,
“userAgent”: “Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.135 Safari/537.36”,
“vendor”: “Google Inc.”
},
“system-info”: {
“file.encoding”: “UTF-8”,
“java.runtime.name”: “OpenJDK Runtime Environment”,
“java.runtime.version”: “11.0.5+10”,
“java.vendor”: “AdoptOpenJDK”,
“java.vendor.url”: “https://adoptopenjdk.net/”,
“java.version”: “11.0.5”,
“java.vm.name”: “OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM”,
“java.vm.version”: “11.0.5+10”,
“os.name”: “Linux”,
“os.version”: “4.14.186-146.268.amzn2.x86_64”,
“user.language”: “en”,
“user.timezone”: “GMT”
},
“metabase-info”: {
“databases”: [
“h2”,
“mysql”
],
“hosting-env”: “unknown”,
“application-database”: “h2”,
“application-database-details”: {
“database”: {
“name”: “H2”,
“version”: “1.4.197 (2018-03-18)”
},
“jdbc-driver”: {
“name”: “H2 JDBC Driver”,
“version”: “1.4.197 (2018-03-18)”
}
},
“run-mode”: “prod”,
“version”: {
“date”: “2020-04-21”,
“tag”: “v0.35.3”,
“branch”: “release-0.35.x”,
“hash”: “1d424cb”
},
“settings”: {
“report-timezone”: null
}
}
}

@TomT Okay, so you didn’t follow the guide or skipped steps, since you’re using H2:
"application-database": "h2",
But it also looks like this is not a clean EBS setup, otherwise it would say:
"hosting-env": "elastic-beanstalk" instead of "hosting-env": "unknown",

You need to access the instance and get the H2 database out, then setup a Postgres RDS, migrate the data there and then you can setup a new EBS using the existing Postgres RDS.

Make sure you have plenty of backups before doing anything, so you don’t lose all your Metabase data.