Preview upcoming changes to the GUI query builder (updated)

@gazzer82 Can you create a new issue for this, so it doesn’t get lost in this large thread?

@flamber logged at https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10475

2 Likes

What happens to the upgrades. Lot of queries and dashboard written as per previous custom queries, will they be moved over as is? Simple question is an entirely different table?

Hi @keshav0129
All existing questions will be “migrated” - they’re not actually migrated, since the queries don’t change, just the interface.
When you click on an existing question, it will take you to the Simple Question interface, which has the Notebook/Editor-button in top-right corner if you need to make more advanced queries from the existing query.
Or did I misunderstand your question?

nope. you are right on. thank you!
let me take back up from existing set up and try it :slight_smile:

Table export to xlsx still seems to throw out all the columns despite narrowing the output to just a few columns. Can’t recall if the filter gets taken into consideration too, I think on demo day that was ignored too.

Every time we tweak the “question” it gives us a pointless graph and we have to switch to table, this is highly annoying, we dont use any of the visualizations.

No total row / summary row, export to excel to summarize (eek), we added a virtual column with the same value throughout so ‘group by’ could work to achieve this but stakeholders think this is silly

We also manage to break it easily, by just reordering columns or adding a new summary column or something just refresh, trying to replicate again now so I can paste the clojure error. We use BigQuery not sure if a factor.

Duplicate questions with same name, able to remove them but still not sure why they occur.

Where is the delete? What is this archive nonsense?

Change too much and no longer able get prompt to overwrite the question, we haven’t figure out the limit of this, but it’s annoying as if we remember the original question there a good chance it will just create a new question with the same name anyway (happened in demo day)

Feel very very far off RC quality to be frank, the stakeholders literally said ‘it aint going to get any better cos its free’ it was an embarrassing demo - I regret switching to the preview release but in the previous demo on stable release we couldn’t add more columns in random scenarios, and column reordering wouldn’t work correctly - many times we had to create the question again.

Sorry to be pessimistic.

Does the new GUI allows to do an or operaton on the filter?
Lets’s say I have a column with numbers and I want to do a filter for all data that has number starting with 121, 122. Will the new GUI allow do such an or operation in the search?

@keshav0129 Currently not in the GUI. It’s being tracked in issue #3217 - go and upvote by clicking :+1:

done.