Pulse emails not going out automatically

I’ve set up some pulses to go out every morning. But it isn’t being sent out automatically. I can still go to the Pulse page and click on Send Email to send them out. The timezone is also correct on my setup. What am I doing wrong?

How are you running Metabase? Is it possible you’re on Heroku, or somehow the server is getting spun down when the pulse is supposed to be getting sent?

Hi @sameer yes, I’m on Heroku because the dashboards need to be shared with team members. Is there a setting I can tweak to fix this?

The issue with Heroku is that if you’re on the free plan, your server is spun down when you’re not using it. While the server is inactive, Metabase isn’t able to send out pulses.

You should upgrade your plan to the hobby plan (which I believe will keep your server up 24x7).

Aah, ok! Thanks. Very helpful. I don’t see an option within the Metabase app to upgrade the Heroku plan, any advice on how to do that?

You should be able to do that directly from the Heroku website here: https://www.heroku.com/pricing

Much appreciated @maz! I just noticed another issue with the above – I have been using Metabase on another tab while a Pulse was scheduled to go out (so the server would not have gone into Sleep). But the scheduled pulse still didn’t go out! The email setup is likely correct because the mail goes out just fine if I push it manually. Any thoughts?

Hmm, I’m stumped. Do you know what your Metabase version is?

Can you find your server logs for that time period and see if there was anything printed out at that point in time?

Yes, I’m on v0.20.0. Is that a known issue?

Thanks, @sameer any suggestions on where I can find those logs?

Go to your application on heroku and click on the dropdown below

Sorry, seems like a very n00b question in retrospect! Here's the log I can see now--not from the time the Pulse failed. There is a memory error showing here. Is there something (else) I need to do to upgrade the plan (apart from just choosing a Hobby Dyno)?

main thing to look for here is whether there are error messages when you expect a pulse to go out.

Thanks, @sameer. I'm seeing more problems now, data isn't being synced or read from the database anymore and I can see this in the logs:

2016-10-26T07:52:40.481025+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Error R14 (Memory quota exceeded)
2016-10-26T07:52:54.392680+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Process running mem=570M(111.4%)
2016-10-26T07:52:54.392680+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Error R14 (Memory quota exceeded)

I had upgraded to Hobby, but that didn't seem to have any impact. Apart from choosing Hobby from the screenshot below, is there something else I needed to do?