Pulses to Gmail

Yeah I know that IMAP isn’t required, however I have the same issue when I disable IMAP with gmail. But for some reason when I enable it SMTP works too

I was having the same issue. I tried a bunch of options and here's what I found:

The issue is related to how accounts can have "Less Secure Apps" permissions. At the @gmail level, if you turn on 2FA, you cannot have Less Secure Apps on as well. You also cannot have an app password without 2FA on. It won't allow both. So if you have 2FA on, you can use an App Password. If you don't, and you have Less Secure Apps on, you can use your normal login password.

At the @mydomain level, using Google G Suite, it's a little different. You can have 2FA on and Less Secure Apps on, since there is a permission in Security in the Google Admin console that allows individual users to turn this on or off. However, you need 2FA on to also have Less Secure Apps on. If you have both of those, you can use an App Password to send the test email.

It seems like Google wants to fully deprecate Less Secure Apps. Is there any plans to build in the necessary security stuff to avoid needing this soon-to-be deprecated option to be on?

@timabe

I have 2FA=enabled and LSA=disabled on all my Gmail or G-Suite domains, and I don’t have any problems sending mails through Metabase with App Password, so I think there must be some other setting involved for those who are still having problems.

Google might extend the life of LSA a bit longer now, but it will eventually be removed.
Metabase cannot see if what type you’re using in your Google account - Metabase just uses the SMTP configuration (host, port, security, username and password) similar to any other SMTP server.

Would you mind checking your G-Suite LSA settings? They are different from the LSA settings in your user’s google security settings. You can find them at https://admin.google.com/u/1/ac/security/lsa?hl=en.

When the Disable radio button is checked, I get an error when I try to send the test email. If I switch it to “Allow users to manage their access to less secure apps”, I can send the test email. This is despite there being no changes to my users’ LSA settings.

@timabe Yep, it’s disabled via admin on G-Suite, and via account on Gmail.

Hi everyone!

I have been trying to set up my emai with 2FA on and LSA disabled via admin using an App Password, but had no success so far. Has anyone been able to do so? My configuration details are:

SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 587
SMTP security: TLS
SMTP USERNAME: work email
SMTP PASSWORD: Google App password
FROM ADDRESS: work email

I tried with my personal email and it worked out as it should. Has anyone been able to make it work with the LSA disabled?

Thanks in advance!