Repeated table in field filter dropdown

When using a field filter, the same table appears multiple times. However, only one of these is the real table; choosing the others will cause an error. I checked in our database Snowflake, and there is only 1 such table. What is causing this issue, and how can we clean it up?

NB: Updating the Metabase metadata from the Admin panel does not solve my issue.

I've included an example for the table called core.contracts_fr.

Diagnostic Info

{
"browser-info": {
"language": "en-GB",
"platform": "MacIntel",
"userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/98.0.4758.102 Safari/537.36",
"vendor": "Google Inc."
},
"system-info": {
"file.encoding": "UTF-8",
"java.runtime.name": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
"java.runtime.version": "1.8.0_312-b07",
"java.vendor": "Red Hat, Inc.",
"java.vendor.url": "https://www.redhat.com/",
"java.version": "1.8.0_312",
"java.vm.name": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
"java.vm.version": "25.312-b07",
"os.name": "Linux",
"os.version": "4.14.256-197.484.amzn2.x86_64",
"user.language": "en",
"user.timezone": "UTC"
},
"metabase-info": {
"databases": [
"postgres",
"snowflake"
],
"hosting-env": "unknown",
"application-database": "postgres",
"application-database-details": {
"database": {
"name": "PostgreSQL",
"version": "12.7"
},
"jdbc-driver": {
"name": "PostgreSQL JDBC Driver",
"version": "42.2.18"
}
},
"run-mode": "prod",
"version": {
"tag": "v0.40.5",
"date": "2021-09-21",
"branch": "release-x.40.x",
"hash": "042a36e"
},
"settings": {
"report-timezone": "UTC"
}
}
}

Hi @jpoelhuis

Post "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.

Try looking in Admin > Data Model, since it's similar API call to get the list.

It looks like you are using an older version of Metabase. Latest release is 0.42.1: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/releases

I noticed something interesting. In Snowflake, we have 1 table core.contracts_fr. However, in the Metabase backend, I see 3 such tables (all with different id's), all of which are active yet under the name CORE.CONTRACTS_FR (ie, capitalized.) In fact, there is also 1 table named core.contracts_fr.

So Metabase seems to be showing a true state from its backend, but how did it come to be? And, what's the safest way to fix it? Am I safe in dropping those tables by id?

@jpoelhuis

Post "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.

I'm guessing that Snowflake at some returned everything in uppercase, so Metabase has multiple tables (metabase_table) and fields (metabase_field), because it got confused.
Make sure that you don't have any questions referencing the tables you are removing, otherwise make sure they point the last one you keep around.

1 Like