Setting question parameters in dashboard

Hi,

I created a question that is fairly customizeable with variables.
It works great when I use it in question mode, but now I want to be able to show multiple instances of it on a single dashboard.
The usecase : We have a multiplatform mobile app, and we want to see some metrics based on device type (ios / android) and country. The question has two variables (platform, country).
So, I would like to create a dashboard that (for example) shows four cards - US-iOS, US-Android, UK-iOS, UK-Android - essentially putting in the same question four times but sending different parameters to each one.

Is this possible? How?

1 Like

Hello there,

Yes, this is possible. In order to do that you would have to add a separate filter per each card. When adding the filter you can associate the filter with a specific variable on a specific card.

While this may seem easy to achieve, you need to be wary of the screen estate. If you add too many filters they will keep on piling on the same row, making them not visible, thus not usable at all. I was able to get up to 6 filters on my screen.

Hi,
To be able to ‘parametrize’ each card based on the same question, I eventually came up with @dxp’s trick: add one filter per card and per parameter. But it is quite cumbersome.

It would be great if we could set the parameters of each card separately when configuring the dashboard ; the use case would be totally different from the ‘dynamic filters’:

• dynamic filters: for end-user, in order to be able to filter
  • per-card parameters: for admins, in order to create multiple cards using the same back-end question
    What do you think?

Thanks for your great work; metabase is absolutely awesome.
Regards,
Maël

1 Like

Was this feature ever added? The fix with filters is not that useful because of the limitations already mentioned in this thread.

The question has 2K+ views so there’s probably quite a few people besides us, who really need this feature :slight_smile:

@bfelbo
Yes, it’s possible to do with default filter:
https://metabase.com/docs/latest/users-guide/08-dashboard-filters.html#setting-a-default-value
There’s also a request for fixed values per card - if you like that, then upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/3575

@flamber, Thanks for your response. However, setting a default value doesn’t work for these use cases.

For instance, we have a Users Created by Country question. We want to show that using different time intervals, sometimes in different dashboards and sometimes multiple visualizations within the same dashboard (e.g. last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 30 days). A single default value won’t cut it :slight_smile:

@bfelbo
Okay, then I don’t know what you’re looking for. I have multiple dashboards with different filters (and different default value), so on some dashboards it shows everything of today, on other dashboards it’s monthly. And this is using the same question.
But if neither of the things I’ve linked to does what you want, then open a new request issue and explain it in details.

Thanks. It’s indeed the same issue as you linked: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/3575. I’ve upvoted it.