Tables doesn't recognize data as numbers

Hello, everyone!

One of my tables aren’t recognizing values as numbers, even if I changed the type of data on data model admin, therefore I can’t filter correctly. On other tables there are commas separating thousands of hundreds, but in this particularly doesn’t.

Hi @beey
If the database column type is string, then changing Field Type will not change anything, since it’s mainly used for formatting purpose.

Hello @flamber
Ok, understood.
The column type on database it is decimal, on others tables with the same types I didn’t have any problem.

@beey
Post “Diagnostic Info” from Admin > Troubleshooting
And which database is it?
I highly doubt it’s decimal - there must be something different with this column compared to your other tables.

@flamber

It’s mysql.

{
“browser-info”: {
“language”: “pt-BR”,
“platform”: “Win32”,
“userAgent”: “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/85.0.4183.102 Safari/537.36”,
“vendor”: “Google Inc.”
},
“system-info”: {
“file.encoding”: “UTF-8”,
“java.runtime.name”: “OpenJDK Runtime Environment”,
“java.runtime.version”: “11.0.8+10”,
“java.vendor”: “AdoptOpenJDK”,
“java.vendor.url”: “https://adoptopenjdk.net/”,
“java.version”: “11.0.8”,
“java.vm.name”: “OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM”,
“java.vm.version”: “11.0.8+10”,
“os.name”: “Linux”,
“os.version”: “4.14.193-149.317.amzn2.x86_64”,
“user.language”: “en”,
“user.timezone”: “GMT”
},
“metabase-info”: {
“databases”: [
“mysql”
],
“hosting-env”: “elastic-beanstalk”,
“application-database”: “postgres”,
“application-database-details”: {
“database”: {
“name”: “PostgreSQL”,
“version”: “12.3”
},
“jdbc-driver”: {
“name”: “PostgreSQL JDBC Driver”,
“version”: “42.2.8”
}
},
“run-mode”: “prod”,
“version”: {
“date”: “2020-09-11”,
“tag”: “v0.36.5.1”,
“branch”: “release-0.36.x”,
“hash”: “a3459e8”
},
“settings”: {
“report-timezone”: “America/Sao_Paulo”
}
}
}

@beey Use this query on two different tables - one where a column work, and another where it does not:

DESCRIBE table_name;

@flamber
oh thanks, now I see the problem. In the table where it doesn’t work the column type it’s varchar(45).
But I don’t know why, on my model it’s decimal(8,2)…
What can I do to fix this? Just update my column?

@beey I don’t know your database or what program is writing to that, so you’ll have to figure that out yourself, but it has nothing to do with Metabase.

@flamber
Thanks, all solved. I changed directly on my db.
I still have one question, the data type is now decimal but when I tried to create a graph doesn’t have the option auto group, why?
I managed to do that with SQL, but like I said there are similar columns in other tables which metabase provides me auto group

@beey You need to manually get the field fingerprinted again.
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/12816 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

I think you can get it to fingerprint the field again by setting metabase_field.fingerprint_version to 3 in the application database, and doing another forced sync+scan in Admin > Databases.

@flamber
It worked perfectly! Thank you.
Unfortunately we can’t customize the binning, only with sql, but already filled my needs.

@beey Not sure what you mean, but binning isn’t available in SQL:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/8362 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post