Upgraded on Elastic Beanstalk - All settings gone?

I’ve been running a Metabase instance of Elastic Beanstalk for 118 days now. Decided to upgrade, followed the steps here: https://www.metabase.com/docs/latest/operations-guide/running-metabase-on-elastic-beanstalk.html#deploying-new-versions-of-metabase the new version deployed successfully. Reloaded the page I was on, and I just go the setup guide. From what I can see all settings are gone, it remembers nothing.

Tried to rollback to the previous version (30.4) same thing.

I followed the same guide when setting up Metabase on Elastic Beanstalk, including the RDS volume. I have no idea where to look for where my data and settings went? Please help :worried:

Hopefully, you have a backup. If your Metabase internal database is on H2, you’ll have lost everything.

Whoa…

I followed the guide to setup an RDS. Weirdly enough I can’t seem to find it now. I remember it being a problem that I chose a too small RDS instance. I don’t really understand what happens when you deploy a new Elastic Beanstalk version. Why would it nuke the filesystem? Wouldn’t it still be available somewhere?

Did you do this bit? If it’s not been done, you have H2 and now it’s gone.

Configuring RDS for Metabase

To run Metabase in a cloud environment of any kind we highly recommend using an independent database server with high availability such as Amazon RDS. So for standard deployments we will choose to create an RDS instance with our Elastic Beanstalk application.

NOTE: it’s possible to skip this step if you wish, however this will force Metabase to use a local H2 database file on your application server and there will be no way to backup and maintain that database, so when your instance is restarted for any reason you’ll lose all your Metabase data. If you are just doing a quick trial of Metabase that may be okay, but otherwise we recommend against this.

To set the database password from the Beanstalk template, hit “Review and Launch”, and then look for the Database configuration pane as below. It should have a red outline when you first see this page.

Yes, that is exactly the one I did. But then I assume it would be in the RDS explorer of the AWS console right?

I was able to find two EBS volumes. I made a snapshot of both and was able to mount one of them on another EC2 instance. It has logs that are from when I setup the Metabase application.

10-09 11:35:53 INFO metabase.db :: Verifying h2 Database Connection ...
10-09 11:35:54 INFO metabase.db :: Verify Database Connection ...  ✅
10-09 11:35:54 INFO metabase.db :: Running Database Migrations...

Etc… The other volume I can’t seem to mount. It seems to be some Docker LVM devicemapper weirdness.

Not sure if that means you’ve got it working or not. If it is working, migrate from H2 to Postgres or MySQL.

No, it is not working.

Is the H2 database completely inmemory? Where would it be stored otherwise?

It’s on the file system. Docker’s not my thing, but as I understand it, redeploying blows everything away.

Luckily I was able to find all the queries in my BigQuery query history. I have now deleted my Elastic Beanstalk app and will be using something other than AWS for this. 4 hours of my life down the drain :frowning:

A warning somewhere that the H2 database will be nuked on restart would be a decent addition imo.

I stick to Windows & Linux for my installs. I like to be able to see what’s going on.

The reason I chose was Elastic Beanstalk was that it was one of the recommended options here: https://metabase.com/start/ I chose it because we had some other infrastructure on AWS already. If it is not a recommended option then why is it one of the options presented to new users?

I’m not Metabase, I’m just another user. People losing their settings comes up frequently on the forums.

Sorry if I came off as such, didn’t realise that. :slight_smile: Sad to see that they aren’t doing anything to fix this since it comes up often. Thanks for your time in this thread!