0.44.0: New filter window

I'm trying out the new RC version, and would like to leave some feedback here (if this is the right place?) about the new upcomming filter window.

First of all, I like the idea behind it, but i think in some cases it's not that user friendly.

As you can see from my example, the window is filled with just 2 filter options, because the 'persondetailsequenceno' contains so many different values.
But the thing is, this is a column where you will (almost) never filter on, but yet it takes almost the whole window.

Also i'm missing a search box at the top, which would make it already a bit user friendly.
Maybe you should be able somewhere to define if a column should popup in this window as an expanded filter or not ? That's probably not that easy to implement though.

I just tried rc2 and agree with this comment. I think the thing I'm missing most is the search box at the top. We've got some quite wide tables with lots of columns and relationships, this new filter window makes it really hard to find the right one to filter.

Listing all the category options by default makes this worse as you can only see 1 or 2 field names. This results in lots of scrolling and visually searching the screen.

The fields don't appear to be listed in alphabetical, database, or any other order (smart, custom from Metabase data model) that I can see.

It looks and works great in the sample data, but I'm struggling to see how this is an improvement on real world data sets. @flamber

Screenshot against my real world data:

I'm afraid for the 0.44.0 release, that nothing will change anymore.
Maybe later, but like you said, this looks nice on a simple database, like the demo one.
But not practicle on big databases with foreign keys and a lot of columns etc ..

In RC2 there is an experimental hidden search box that you can show using ctrl + k keyboard shortcut. Does that help?

The search box on filters in the notebook query builder still works, however that's not how a lot of my users interact with Metabase.

Same here.
My clients never use the query builder screen.
They just open the questions I created, and then use the filter button to filter.

@cobalt I've just tried v0.44.0-rc3 and to me it's a good improvement over rc2. There's a search box and the layout feels better.

I feel like I can work with this now.

1 Like

Will try it and leave my feedback here.

Ok this is idd way better.
I do 'think' there is a little bug in it.

The column "Regtype" you see in the picture, is showing duplicate values.
1 = Registratie
2 = Saldo aanzuivering
3 = Saldo aanpassing

It is showing the 'real' database value AND the value that i have put in the data model (manually linking).
I already deleted and rescanned that field in the model, but with the same outcome.

Also, how are these filter ordend? It's not the same like the real data structure.

@flamber could you help me where to correctly report a bug for the RC3?
I was able to re-produce at the sample database. (sorry for the tag)

@cobalt That looks like an issue about remapping https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AQuerying%2FRemapping
Try clearing saved values in Data Model for the field, and re-scan, and do a browser refresh, then it should be normal - if not please open an issue.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunatly it doesn't work.
Will look to create a bug ticket today.

For reference: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/24626