We are running Metabase via Cloudron, v 0.63.19. Email Pulses stopped working, maybe about a week ago. We found this in the logs.
Metabase.notification.send Error sending to channel channel/email: Error registering fonts: Metabase will not be able to send Pulses. This is a known issue with certain JVMs. See https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/7986 and for more details
It’s not clear if the issue is with Metabase or Cloudron, since they repackage Metabase, but it’s surprising it just stopped working all of a sudden, as their repackaging is unlikely to change with these minor updates. Therefore, I have a hunch it’s on the Metabase side.
Are you using a wrapper dockerfile to deploy Metabase? Is that how Cloudron is running it? (I’m not too familiar with Cloudron)
Our org had a very similar issue with this and one of these additions to our Dockerfile seemed to help:
# Fix /tmp permissions and rebuild font cache (must be root)
RUN mkdir -p /tmp && chmod 1777 /tmp
RUN fc-cache -fv
You’re using a very up-to-date version of Metabase so it should include the necessary font packages already. Might be an issue with your specific config like what the code above helped us with.
I actually don’t know how Cloudron packages things, but I suspect it may be like you said, with some overrides to fit it into the Cloudron environment. I’ll pass along your suggestion to my cross post on their forum and see what they say.