Anybody used Metabase with Amazon RDS for SQL Server

+++updated post+++

I have successfully setup Metabase Beanstalk with MS SQL Server in RDS
It works flawlessly. Just follow the instructions here and here.

In the post below, I have asked some questions and made mentions that it does not work.
@flamber had been kind enough to answer my queries.

But please ignore my questions. The reason it did not work each time because I did not RTFM.
These are the items you should remember in order to not have issues like me:

1. Start with a higher capacity Beanstalk instance. Dont skimp. If the app server works fine, you can progressively reduce the machine used.
  2. Ensure that the beanstalk instance is deployed inside the same zone/subnet as your rds instance.
  3. Understand the difference between application db and your source data db. The details here are for Metabase's app db. It has nothing to do with your rds sql db, from where you want to fetch data.

Best luck!

====================
+++original post+++

Anybody has an experience using Metabase with Amazon RDS for SQL Server?

I am starting to evaluate this option. Wanted to check on the Metabase forum if there are any gotcha, any pre-reads or any other things I should keep in my mind.

A quick search on the forum tells me that trying to use Metabase with SQL server in general has been like a dentist appointment for almost all.

Are there any happily ever after stories?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @lvljnpot
It should work fine, similar to RDS Postgres/MySQL.
I'm not sure which other forum posts you are referring to, but generally people have not been using the correct port, which for any database would make it very difficult for Metabase to connect.

@flamber - thanks for that super-fast response!
I will try this and hopefully I succeed.
I will post the outcome on this forum.

Have a great weekend!

@flamber
I tried connecting RDS MS SQL to Metabase - am not able to do it.
I can connect to it through dbeaver.

but I am not able to connect using metabase

my metabase instance is deployed using the offical beanstalk config.
i have ensured that i the inbound rules are correctly applied, the security groups and vpcs are aligned in a way that both rds & beanstalk instances can talk to each other.

i tried the same with rds postgres & beanstalk metabase.
it worked like a charm.
see below a screenshot of postgres with pagila dumped into it

please help!

@lvljnpot Are you sure that you need "Database instance name"? Did you also fill that out in DBeaver?
Post "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.
And check the log for more detailed error in Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs.

Hi @flamber,

Earlier I had not updated the env variables inside the metabase beanstalk instance. That was the reason for my previous error.

So I tried to fix that mistake.
I first brought up my beanstalk instance. Went inside it, saw everything working nicely with the H2 DB.
Then I went back to my beanstalk instance, and then added the env variables.
And saved the new config - which meant Beanstalk had to relaunch with the new config.

But now beanstalk instance wont come up - gives me an 500 error.
I remove the env variables, and it works nicely.

This is the env config I am using for RDS SQL server
Am i using the correct DB_TYPE?
Or should I use MB_DB_CONNECTION_URI?

I think I am close to resolving this. Need a final push.

@lvljnpot It is not possible to use anything but H2, Postgres and MariaDB/MySQL for the application database, which has nothing to do with your data sources you add in Admin > Databases.
https://www.metabase.com/docs/latest/operations-guide/configuring-application-database.html
And you should absolutely not use H2 on Beanstalk, or if you're running Metabase in production.
There's a request for it:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/12007 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

Thanks @flamber for your support.
It worked for me last week. I just missed thanking you for your help!

For anyone else reading this, I have successfully setup Metabase Beanstalk with MS SQL Server in RDS.
It works flawlessly. Just follow the instructions
here and [here](https://www. metabase.com/docs/latest/administration-guide/databases/aws-rds.html)

In the post above, I have asked some questions and made mentions that it does not work.
@flamber had been kind enough to answer my queries.

But please ignore my questions. The reason it did not work each time because I did not RTFM.
These are the items you should remember in order to not have issues like me:

1. Start with a higher capacity Beanstalk instance. Dont skimp. If the app server works fine, you can progressively reduce the machine used.
  2. Ensure that the beanstalk instance is deployed inside the same zone/subnet as your rds instance.
  3. Understand the difference between application db and your source data db. The details here are for Metabase's app db. It has nothing to do with your rds sql db, from where you want to fetch data.

Best luck!

1 Like