Cannot connect to db after restoring metabase.db.mv.db

I use metabase in my local machine. After restarting the laptop, I couldn’t restart metabase, the file got corrupted. Since it’s not the first time this happens I had already saved a metabase.mv.db.mv file for when this happened again.

I’ve changed the file and I could restart metabase again with my saved dashboard and questions. However, the questions fai to connect to the db. I’ve seen that the database cfg in the Admin panel is using an old password so tried to change it and clicked “Save” and I get:

java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: Could not connect to DATABASE_PATH_I_HIDE : sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Does anyone have an idea of what may be wrong? Is there a way in which I can export the dashboard/questions and try to import them in a new fresh install? Thanks for any help

Hi @mezod
Which version of Metabase?
Which version of Java?
Which database and version are you trying to connect to?

May I recommend that you migrate away from H2, which is not recommended in production for that exact reason you’re in.
https://metabase.com/docs/latest/operations-guide/migrating-from-h2.html

Thanks @flumber,

Metabase is v0.32.8
Java is “1.8.0_171”
The database is an AWS RDS - MySQL 5.6.40

Hmm, could be that the metabase.mv.db.mv I saved is from an earlier version, but the dashboard/questions seem to be alright!

I’ll look into that, thank you, but I’d love to be able to salvage my dashboard and questions :_ At least this time I can recover all the mysql queries. I think the issue is just at connecting to the db, and all I can see is that the password is wrong, but when I try to update it that error appears (I assume that metabase tries to connect when I save)

Thanks again

@mezod
Looks like you’re experiencing this issue: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/9629
The work-around (as noted in the comments) is to specify which certificate version you’re connecting with, so you add this to the connection string: enabledSslProtocolSuites=TLSv1.1&trustServerCertificate=true
I would recommend that you update to 0.32.10 - latest release is 0.33.3

Thanks @flamber, as soon as you posted it I remembered I had had to do that.

I only needed trustServerCertificate=true since TLS 1.1 is not supported in 0.32.8.

Thanks a ton :slight_smile:

1 Like