Cannot connect to Postgres via SSL on Metabase Cloud

I'm trying to connect to a Postgres instance running on GCP using Metabase Cloud.
Unfortunately I cannot specify neither SSL client key, SSL client cert, nor SSL server cert.

All other sensible solutions have such an option:

Redash:

Google Data Studio:

My goal was to use your service, as I think it is the best on market, but I cannot even connect our database.

Previous discussions that I've checked (unfortunately all related to self-hosted Metabase versions):

... and others

Hi @pkowalczyk
It's currently not possible connect to Postgres with custom certificates. It is something we have been working on implementing, so certificate handling was available for all the database types we support, but it turned out to be a lot more complicated than we initially thought. I currently don't have a timeline for this.

Ok, thanks for quick answer.

Any suggestion for a workaround?

@pkowalczyk There are none, otherwise I would have written that. Only workaround is to self-host until we have implemented certificate management in the app.

Ok, thank you. I will look for different solution.

After 3 months, any updates?

@yasaichi We are working on implementing more connection handling in the app. Still unsure if it will be finished in time for v41 or if it will be v42. It's a lot more complicated, when it has to support 15+ different database types across multiple versions.

I understood what is hard to deal with. I expect you to finish it as soon as possible.

Any updates on this?

Otherwise, wouldn't it be advisable to put a note that custom certs are not supported? I believe many devs spent alot of time on workarounds for this.

@kutysam Certificates are support on Postgres, and a couple of other databases coming in v44.

If something doesn't work, then contact support if testing on Cloud or create a new issue with enough steps to reproduce https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/new/choose

Hi, just checking, is this supported on v44 already? I don't see it on the changelog

@kutysam It is supported since v43

Just want to update, it works perfectly well! Thank you!

1 Like