Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'rows')

hi @flamber and happy new year.

I'm getting a similar error.

"Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'rows')"

In our case - strange things

  1. the same table can be queried just fine on dbeaver.
  2. the same table works in metabase, with a limit 10
  3. the same query works if just selecting certain fields.

We upgraded to .41.5 last week, and first issue we noticed. All dashboards and reports we have used thus far seem to work fine, the issue only became apparent when we tried to run a special query against the whole table. So basically we do not know how many tables are afflicted at this time, we are sincerely hoping it is only this one.

The data is coming via panoply, but given there are no issues querying via dbeaver, i think i have to rule out panoply as being the source of the issue?


{
"browser-info": {
"language": "en-US",
"platform": "Win32",
"userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.110 Safari/537.36 Edg/96.0.1054.62",
"vendor": "Google Inc."
},
"system-info": {
"file.encoding": "UTF-8",
"java.runtime.name": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
"java.runtime.version": "11.0.13+8",
"java.vendor": "Eclipse Adoptium",
"java.vendor.url": "https://adoptium.net/",
"java.version": "11.0.13",
"java.vm.name": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
"java.vm.version": "11.0.13+8",
"os.name": "Linux",
"os.version": "4.14.248-129.473.amzn1.x86_64",
"user.language": "en",
"user.timezone": "GMT"
},
"metabase-info": {
"databases": [
"mysql",
"redshift",
"googleanalytics",
"snowflake"
],
"hosting-env": "unknown",
"application-database": "mysql",
"application-database-details": {
"database": {
"name": "MySQL",
"version": "8.0.25"
},
"jdbc-driver": {
"name": "MariaDB Connector/J",
"version": "2.6.2"
}
},
"run-mode": "prod",
"version": {
"date": "2021-12-16",
"tag": "v0.41.5",
"branch": "release-x.41.x",
"hash": "fbfffc6"
},
"settings": {
"report-timezone": null
}
}
}

Hi @jazz78
Different problems. So if it works if you only select specific columns or rows, then narrow down the offending cell in a row, figure out what the contains via DBeaver and then let's debug from there.

1 Like

Hi @flamber, ok doing it.

Hi @flamber,

In this short study it appears at least a field called 'notes' is causing an issue in at least some cases. Here is that field from one offending record:
notes [NULL]
(image attached)

There are plenty of other records with [NULL] that appear to NOT cause an issu.

Hi @flamber,

In case it helps, here is an example of some records that metabase is able to successfully query that have [NULL] in notes.

Just to demonstrate that notes field having a [NULL] does not trip it up in all cases.

Dbeaver on the left Metabase on the right (same query)

@jazz78 I don't understand what the problem is. You are showing what works.
You have to create a table with a row that causes problems and then provide the DDL for that table.

@flamber the problem is explained in my very first post. I will provide the DDL

@jazz78 If you're using DBeaver or similar, then right-click on your table and export the DDL, as well as an insert statement, so the problem can be reproduced.
Let me just say that I don't understand it, but if you think that everyone can follow your steps, then please open an issue about it and provide all the details needed: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/new/choose

@flamber - i believe i figured out at least one issue:

We have a field: notes VARCHAR(1500) ENCODE lzo

it appears metabase does not like it if it has certain content in it. For example:

  1. shows metabase failing
  2. shows dbeaver succeeding (same query/table)
  3. shows the text in the notes field, that appears to cause the metabase fail

The reason I believe (3) is part of the problem is that i deleted that section in the raw data of a record that was failing, and now suddenly Metabase is ok with that record. I can succesfully query it.