Can't Connect to Database

I see this:
05-15 00:40:49 INFO driver.mysql :: You may need to add trustServerCertificate=true to the additional connection options to connect with SSL.

And I can no longer connect to the database (Maria DB 5.5 running on Ubuntu). v031.2 is perfectly fine, but I cannot get any of the v032.x versions to work

I had the same issue and couldn’t solve it.

I updated to the lastest v.032.8 and got this

05-17 08:50:53 INFO driver.mysql :: You may need to add trustServerCertificate=true to the additional connection options to connect with SSL.
metabase_1 | 05-17 08:50:53 DEBUG middleware.log :: PUT /api/database/2 400 6 ms (1 DB calls)
metabase_1 | {:valid false,
metabase_1 | :dbname “java.sql.SQLException: Trying to connect with ssl, but ssl not enabled in the server”,
metabase_1 | :message “java.sql.SQLException: Trying to connect with ssl, but ssl not enabled in the server”}

After downgrade to v031.2 everything is working fine again. I read in several forums that the driver for MariaDB has changed in the newer Metabase Versions and that the driver has now the option useSSL=true as default.

I tried to disable this option in the database settings (additional jdbc string options) but it didn’t work.

Does anyone has more information about this topic?

@tonymc
Can you provide more details from the log - the line you referenced is just an INFO note.

@pascaln
Correct, the driver was changed to MariaDB Connector/J in 0.32, but it does not default to SSL.
There has been an issue for some people, where after upgrading to 0.32 it started to only connect via SSL, but haven’t been able to figure out if this was an issue with 0.31 not reading the configuration at all or if the configuration is changed when upgraded to 0.32.
Have a look in the metadata backend database. Look in the table metabase_database for the column details. It should NOT include the "ssl": true