Dashboard chart properties do not update

We have recently update to 0.34.2 and I am not able to update some charts. Only some properties are “stuck” - Chart name, data series axis selection. The only woraround is to create a new Question and replace it in the dashboard. The new question already works well. It seems as if some question properties were “stuck” from the old version and are not overwritten in the new version.
Thanks for any help
(btw. it would be great to have a function to copy a question since create a copy is quite a lot of clicking)

Hi @ivobrabec

It would really be great to know which version you used before - it would help with debugging.

I’m not sure if I understand this correctly. Are you saying that some cards (questions on dashboards) keeps using different visualization settings than what are defined on the question?
Could it be that you have defined those on the dashboard card settings? When you hover a card, you’ll see a gear (:gear:) for the card settings.

Have you noticed any specifics that could help reproduce this problem?

There’s a feature request for copying a question, but wouldn’t that just copy the problem too?
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/4483 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

Hi,
i made a short video:

It basically remembers the name of the question from before even though the name is already changed. The new name appears first but then switches to the old name. If I duplicate the question and replace it in the dashboard, the problem is gone.
I have unfortunately no way to find out the previous version.
I am updating the questions from both the dashboard or from the default list of questions. My understanding is that both methods are equal. It happens quite often also that I save a question with chart as visualization but then a table displays in dashboard and I have to save the visualization again before it sticks. But this seemed to me a general problem nor linked with the topic above as it was working like this since I use metabase.
Thanks

@ivobrabec
Hmm…I haven’t been able to reproduce, and I’ve tried a couple of different version upgrades.

I would be really interested in seeing the metadata for this.
The data of the old question (and dashboard card), and the new question (and dashboard card).
It would be in the tables report_card, report_dashboard and report_dashboardcard of the application database.

Trying to ping @paulrosenzweig - maybe he can spot something from the video

@ivobrabec I’m not sure what’s causing that either.

My understanding is that both methods are equal.

Renaming a card on a dashboard doesn’t rename the card itself. It only updates the name on that dashboard.

Though, even when the question and dashcard name differ, I can’t reproduce this.

@ivobrabec, are you able to reliably reproduce any of the specific issues you’ve seen? e.g. are there any steps we can follow to see the bug where the display type changes from a chart to a table.

Also, do all those bugs only occur on questions created with an old version? Or, do you see those bugs on new questions as well?

Hi, I can reproduce it only on my instance (happy to share screen). Once I archive the problematic question and create a copy the problem does not happen. It seems something got stuck from the previous version in the system database which does not rewrite.

@ivobrabec
Have you ever made manual changes to the metadata (the Metabase application database)?
Can you post “Diagnostic Info” from Admin > Troubleshooting?

Hi,
here is the info
{
“browser-info”: {
“language”: “en-US”,
“platform”: “MacIntel”,
“userAgent”: “Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_3) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.130 Safari/537.36”,
“vendor”: “Google Inc.”
},
“system-info”: {
“java.runtime.name”: “OpenJDK Runtime Environment”,
“java.runtime.version”: “11.0.5+10”,
“java.vendor”: “AdoptOpenJDK”,
“java.vendor.url”: “https://adoptopenjdk.net/”,
“java.version”: “11.0.5”,
“java.vm.name”: “OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM”,
“java.vm.version”: “11.0.5+10”,
“os.name”: “Linux”,
“os.version”: “4.15.0-70-generic”,
“user.language”: “en”,
“user.timezone”: “GMT”
},
“metabase-info”: {
“databases”: [
“mysql”
],
“hosting-env”: “unknown”,
“application-database”: “mysql”,
“application-database-details”: {
“database”: {
“name”: “MySQL”,
“version”: “5.7.29”
},
“jdbc-driver”: {
“name”: “MariaDB Connector/J”,
“version”: “2.5.1”
}
},
“run-mode”: “prod”,
“version”: {
“date”: “2020-02-04”,
“tag”: “v0.34.2”,
“branch”: “release-0.34.x”,
“hash”: “dab738c”
},
“settings”: {
“report-timezone”: “Europe/Brussels”
}
}
}

The database was never touched by us for sure.

To replicate this problem on metabase v0.39.3

  1. create chart c1 and set title=c1, add c1 to dashboard D
  2. modify c1 and save as c2 (title=c2), then add c2 to dashboard D
  3. D should have 2 charts, but both c1 and c2 will show up as title=c1

Quck fix:
a) click on the palette icon (visualization options) on c2,
b) select 'reset to Defaults' option, you will see c2's title revert to c2 (from c1)
c) for the c2 title textbox, type anything e.g. c2fix (you must type something to make title != c2, otherwise c2 title will revert to c1 upon save)
d) click 'done'

c2 will now display title 'c2fix' upon reload of dashboard D

@zhangguiyu That's how dashboards, questions and cards work. As expected.

But this topic is most likely seeing this issue:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/13595