Dashboard Filter shows all options

Hi, I was hopeful that Linked Filters would help reduce the set of options for my filter however, it seems to display all of the available options.

I tried following the example in this post:

In my dashboard, it still shows all of the possible catalog options instead of the catalogs belonging to Account ID 4373. (i.e. Apple Creek Farm Retail, and Berrylicious 2020 Retail Season belong to catalogs of another ID, not 4373. I was hoping by limiting filter's choices to ID, this would be reduced)

Have I missed a step, or is this a bug actively worked on?

Thanks in advance

Hi @gchan
Please post "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.
It looks like you are using SQL questions. Is ID-filter also a Field Filter or just a simple Number variable?
I have a feeling that you're seeing this issue:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/14595

Hey @flamber, in my case, ID is also a field filter.

Yes, I'm writing in SQL, rather than using a simple/custom question.

Diagnostic Info
{
"browser-info": {
"language": "en-US",
"platform": "MacIntel",
"userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.77 Safari/537.36",
"vendor": "Google Inc."
},
"system-info": {
"file.encoding": "UTF-8",
"java.runtime.name": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
"java.runtime.version": "11.0.11+9",
"java.vendor": "AdoptOpenJDK",
"java.vendor.url": "https://adoptopenjdk.net/",
"java.version": "11.0.11",
"java.vm.name": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
"java.vm.version": "11.0.11+9",
"os.name": "Linux",
"os.version": "4.14.225-168.357.amzn2.x86_64",
"user.language": "en",
"user.timezone": "America/Toronto"
},
"metabase-info": {
"databases": [
"postgres"
],
"hosting-env": "unknown",
"application-database": "postgres",
"application-database-details": {
"database": {
"name": "PostgreSQL",
"version": "12.5"
},
"jdbc-driver": {
"name": "PostgreSQL JDBC Driver",
"version": "42.2.18"
}
},
"run-mode": "prod",
"version": {
"date": "2021-05-27",
"tag": "v0.39.3",
"branch": "release-x.39.x",
"hash": "598a112"
},
"settings": {
"report-timezone": null
}
}
}

Okay, I think I got your hunch, so I made field filter related to a table instead of an ID filter (number) and it seems to restrict it now, awesome!

However, it seems only show some, but not all of the fields, even when I check "A list of all values" in the Data Model Field Settings. I should see more options than just those 3.

This is definitely useable though.

@gchan Okay, I just need to understand. So the ID-filter on the dashboard was connected to a Number-variable of the question, then yes, it's the issue I referenced.

It's not a very good user experience, and also took me a couple of hours to figure out what was going on, when I was initially investigating the issue.

As for the missing options. If you remove the ID-filter value, so it shows all options, do you see the missing options on the all-options list?
How many options do you have? More than 100?

Right, that wasn't obvious to me so thanks for the tip.

Yes, if I remove the ID filter value it will show all options (including the ones I don't want since it's not linked anymore). Yes more than 100.

I'll still get values if there's data for that filter, but it's strange it doesn't autopopulate.

I think I figured out why. The autofill shows the intersection of all of the linked ids, so since a specific catalog filter did not appear in the table where {{ID}} is pulled from, it won't show up, even though it does exist technically.

It's a bit confusing to explain, so hopefully that made sense.

@gchan But I'm asking if you're seeing the options that you were missing, when doing Linked Filtering, when you don't apply a filter. I'm asking about 100 options specifically, since there's a bug, where we limited options to that number. It has been fixed in the upcoming 0.39.4:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/15695

I'm quite sure you are seeing a combination of 14595 and 15695, which just makes it very difficult to understand why Linked Filters doesn't behave as you expect - which is understandable.

1 Like

Hey @flamber, I'll follow those issues and can test again when it's resolved. The existing solution is better than a simple text box for our customers so I was still use it as is for now.

To answer your question, no our options are not strictly 100, we have more than 100, and still see this issue.