Dashboard filter with id and label

Hello

I'm a little bit lost with dashboard filter

I'm running v0.46.2

Is it possible to have a dropdown list with some id as value and a label for the display ?
For instance I want to filter by customer_id and want to display the customer's name

For now I can only do a list with label == value and so I filter with name and not id / ForeignKey. It doesn't look very robust

Also what does "Linked filters" do exactly ? I read the doc Linking filters in dashboards but it doesn't explain how the data is defined / linked ?
How can I defined the link between the filter ?

Hi, if you want to map customer_id to customer_name you can do that from the Admin Settings.

In the Admin Settings > Data Model, you will need to set Customer Name as a foreign key for Customer ID.

And then you can map Customer ID to use Customer Name instead.

For linked filters, have you read the documentation? Sometimes it is explained in a different way than the Learn tutorials :slight_smile:

Take a look and let me know if you still have any questions!

In the Admin Settings > Data Model, you will need to set Customer Name as a foreign key for Customer ID.
And then you can map Customer ID to use Customer Name instead.

I try this

• edit the field Customer Name
  • set Customer Name as a FK to Customer ID
  • edit to Customer Id > Display values : I only see the option "Use Original Value"
  • edit to Customer Name > Display values > Use Foreign Key > ID
  • in a dashboard, add a filter and link it to a widget on field Customer Id
  • the filter still display Customer Id and no Customer Name

Also if it's only meta-data on table, how can I filter the value available in the dropdown ? for instance i have a deleted_at column and I want to filter out customer that are deleted from the dropdown in dashboard.

Are they a simpler way ? something like I do a query like that

select c.id as key, c.name as label from customer where ...

And in a filter I can select the query and tell the display label and the value to input into linked widget ?

Linked filter

For linked filters, have you read the documentation? Sometimes it is explained in a different way than the Learn tutorials :slight_smile:

Yes i read it too
I don't get how to link filter. In the exemple how the city filter know how to filter city by state ?
Maybe it look for a field state_id in the city table ? what if I have a field state_name without FK instead of state_id in the city table ? or maybe we need to configure meta-data in the admin panel ?
The one button to "link filter" looks like magic.

Any updates on this?
Idea is to have filter select, that displays customer name, but filters by customer id.

Otherwise, it's unusable to filter customers by id without knowing any info about them.

1 Like