Dashboards filters broken v0.39.0.1

When we update the version of Metabase, some of the filters that we set as Category, are not working anymore in a specific dashboard.

This is the question with the category filter called City, in which the drop down list is working:

When I check the dashboard, instead of the drop down list, the filter is a text filter:

When I display the filter in the dashboard the inspect is:

I've checked this but not clear if this was solved in previous versions and the bug appears again: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/7640

  "browser-info": {
    "language": "es-ES",
    "platform": "Win32",
    "userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.124 Safari/537.36",
    "vendor": "Google Inc."
  "system-info": {
    "file.encoding": "UTF-8",
    "java.runtime.name": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
    "java.runtime.version": "11.0.10+9",
    "java.vendor": "AdoptOpenJDK",
    "java.vendor.url": "https://adoptopenjdk.net/",
    "java.version": "11.0.10",
    "java.vm.name": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
    "java.vm.version": "11.0.10+9",
    "os.name": "Linux",
    "os.version": "5.4.0-1041-aws",
    "user.language": "en",
    "user.timezone": "UTC"
  "metabase-info": {
    "databases": [
    "hosting-env": "unknown",
    "application-database": "mysql",
    "application-database-details": {
      "database": {
        "name": "MySQL",
        "version": "5.7.12"
      "jdbc-driver": {
        "name": "MariaDB Connector/J",
        "version": "2.6.2"
    "run-mode": "prod",
    "version": {
      "date": "2021-04-20",
      "tag": "v0.39.0.1",
      "branch": "release-x.39.x",
      "hash": "47bb5f2"
    "settings": {
      "report-timezone": null

Hi @alejandrorial
Try latest release - 0.39.4. There were several fixes to filter dropdowns.
If you try to create a new dashboard and add the question and filter - does that work? If so, then it would be great if I could get some metadata about the failing dashboard.

1 Like

Hi, what helped me was setting the field type to category in the data model. :crossed_fingers:

Hi @flamber
Thanks a lot for your quick response!

Yes, the filter is working perfectly if I add the question to a new dashboard.
How can I have the metadata of the dashboard?

Our metadata is in MySQL, and there is a table called report_dashboard, is that information that I have to retrieve for the id of the dashboard in which I have problems?

Thanks a lot!


Try upgrading first, since there was some problems, which was fixed. https://github.com/metabase/metabase/releases/latest

If it doesn't work after the upgrade, then it would be great to figure out the root cause, so we can fix this generally instead of you having to redo all filters on all dashboards.

Yes, it's partially in that table, but also in report_dashboardcard. All the relevant information should be accessible if you go to the broken and working dashboard, and look at your browser developer Network-tab to see the response from /api/dashboard/:id, where the interesting bits should be parameter_mappings (of the card), param_fields and parameters.

1 Like

Super! I'll let you know when the upgrade is ready, fingers crossed!

Thank you so much for your support.