Deleted column continuing to cause error post sync

Hi all,

We recently removed a column that was not used for any visualizations. However, after a sync, we're still seeing the error that the field is expected. Our issue seems similar to this: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/6146

I'm not able to do the suggested workaround to update the field visibility for some reason (selecting a new option doesn't change the value from "Everywhere").

Let me know if there's something else I should be doing. Thanks!

{
  "browser-info": {
    "language": "en-US",
    "platform": "MacIntel",
    "userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/98.0.4758.109 Safari/537.36",
    "vendor": "Google Inc."
  },
  "system-info": {
    "file.encoding": "UTF-8",
    "java.runtime.name": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
    "java.runtime.version": "11.0.14+9",
    "java.vendor": "Eclipse Adoptium",
    "java.vendor.url": "https://adoptium.net/",
    "java.version": "11.0.14",
    "java.vm.name": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
    "java.vm.version": "11.0.14+9",
    "os.name": "Linux",
    "os.version": "4.14.219-164.354.amzn2.x86_64",
    "user.language": "en",
    "user.timezone": "GMT"
  },
  "metabase-info": {
    "databases": [
      "postgres",
      "bigquery-cloud-sdk",
      "bigquery",
      "h2"
    ],
    "hosting-env": "unknown",
    "application-database": "postgres",
    "application-database-details": {
      "database": {
        "name": "PostgreSQL",
        "version": "11.9"
      },
      "jdbc-driver": {
        "name": "PostgreSQL JDBC Driver",
        "version": "42.2.23"
      }
    },
    "run-mode": "prod",
    "version": {
      "date": "2022-02-08",
      "tag": "v1.42.0",
      "branch": "release-x.42.x",
      "hash": "de1264e"
    },
    "settings": {
      "report-timezone": null
    }
  }
}

Hi @amaozhang
If you have just removed the column, then you need to wait until sync finishes, which can take everywhere from a few seconds to several minutes depending on your database size.

Which database type is this related to?
Have you validated that sync finishes after manually triggering it? Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs
Are you having problems in existing questions, or also when you just browse the table? If only in existing questions, then go to the question's Notebook editor and re-select the columns that should be available.

Thanks for the fast reply!

• Related to our Postgres DB
  • Based on the logs, it seems like it's failing but I'm looping in someone from our eng team.
  • It's just existing questions: 1) how do I do that workaround? I'm not able to find it in the question editor view. 2) ideally we wouldn't have to do this since there's a chance our tables will keep on changing so we'll investigate if the sync issue is on our end.

@amaozhang For existing questions, where you have manually selected columns, then those columns are stored with the question, so if you remove the column in the database, then you'll need to update the tables that Metabase selects. Go to Notebook editor and click the column-selector next to the table, click "Select All" to reset it.
If you can't do this for some reason, then provide a screenshot, so I understand why you can't.

Ah I hadn't manually selected columns so that might be why I wasn't seeing the option but here's a screenshot:

Separately though, looks like the sync went through and our previous dashboard is now working. Will consider this resolved and thanks again for the assistance.

@amaozhang Okay, I guess it was just a slow sync. Difficult for me to tell without seeing full logs, but since it's working now, then that's good.