Distinction Between Dashboard-level & Chart-level Filters

Hello,

It would be great if there could be some sort of separation between filters that are applied via the dashboard at the top and those that are applied to individual charts in the Editor UI. I'm often making mistakes when making changes to existing charts when default filters are applied because when I save a chart, those default filters are bound to that chart.

For example when there is an "Organisation" filter for "Company XYZ" by default at the dashboard level, if I go into a chart, make changes and save it, that "Organisation is Company XYZ" is then saved specifically to that chart, and when I then change the dashboard filter to Organisation is "Company ABC", then the chart in the Editor will have two filters for "Company ABC" and "Company XYZ", which breaks the chart.

My proposal would be in the Editor UI to have a "Dashboard filters" section as well as the existing "Filter" section (perhaps rename this to "Chart Filter"), so that when saving a chart, the Dashboard Filters are not permanently bound to that chart, and it's very clear where the various filters come from. It's inefficient to have to remember to clear default filters before editing charts and confusing to new users.

Thanks,
David

Hi @blue_badger
There's a request for making it easier to distinguish the filters on drill-through:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/13603 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post