Docker with Mysql App DB

Has anyone successfully ran a docker instance with a Mysql App DB? I am fairly new to docker so excuse me if anything…

I ran:
sudo docker run -d -p 3000:3000 -e "MB_DB_TYPE=mysql" -e "MB_DB_DBNAME=metabase" -e "MB_DB_PORT=3306" -e "MB_DB_USER=metabase" -e "MB_DB_PASS=aaaaaaa" -e "MB_DB_HOST=myhost.local" --name metabase metabase/metabase

after running it i can browse the loading page with the progress bar but shortly after the connection just stops. Anyone has any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Just found out that Metabase doesnt support utf8bm4 and had to change it to utf8.

I actually found out through running the jar file manually as a temporary alternative and it actually threw out the error message.

Any idea how I can see java console messages from a docker instance? Like what we would see if we ran the jar file manually?

try docker logs <instance_name>

1 Like

@BenCherre thanks! but i noticed it didnt exactly spit out all the console error messages that I was expecting to see. Is there a way to say listen to the console in real time and not run this command from time to time?

trydocker logs -f
`Usage: logs [options] [SERVICE…]

Options:
–no-color Produce monochrome output.
-f, --follow Follow log output
-t, --timestamps Show timestamps
–tail=“all” Number of lines to show from the end of the logs
for each container.`
source: https://docs.docker.com/compose/reference/logs/