Editor sorting and custom column editing may result in an error

When editing the question on the editor screen, if you edit the custom column after sorting, you will get an error "A problem occurred", but if you edit the custom column and then sort it, the same error will occur. Since no error is output to the log, is it an error on the screen side?

Please tell me where is the cause.

I've tried chrome and edge browsers with the same result.

The metabase version is the latest "0.47.0".

1 Like

Hey Yuya

Does this seem to be happening on various Questions you’ve created or specific ones?
Are these custom columns being included in any aggregate functions?
You mentioned you’re on 0.47.0. Does this happen only on Questions created prior to this version?
Does this happen regardless of whether you’re attempting to sort using the list of Columns on the left hand side, or within the table on the right hand side?

A good place to start is looking at the logs generated by Metabase which will have timestamps.
Settings → Admin Settings → Troubleshooting → Logs.

Something else that may help is looking at developer tools in Chrome as you’re attempting to make these adjustments. Start off by utilizing the Network tab to see if anything jumps out at you.

Hi Filmon

sorry for late reply

Does this seem to be happening on various Questions you’ve created or specific ones?

Occurring with a specific question

Are these custom columns being included in any aggregate functions?

used in aggregation functions

You mentioned you’re on 0.47.0. Does this happen only on Questions created prior to this version?

No, it's happening in a newly created question in this version

Does this happen regardless of whether you’re attempting to sort using the list of Columns on the left hand side, or within the table on the right hand side?

It doesn't matter

I have the same problem.

I have had the same issues as well - only solution found was to re-create the question with all the same information to pull the visualization. It is like the system gets stuck with the error and nothing will function if occured.

Is this a bug in the current version?

roro

re-create the question with all the same information to pull the visualization.

What exactly does this mean?

I tried the same but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It happens with old questions (v.46) and questions made with the latest version. When the error occurs, everything breaks!!!

I cannot say for sure if it is a bug or not, but I have noticed a similar situation on my end. The only way I found to resolve it, was to fully recreate the entire question, with updated summaries, formulas, visualizations etc. and for me, it worked.

A rebuild might be the best option for now.

I hope that this will be adjusted in the version upgrade

1 Like