Error Message when Saving Question

Hello,

I am new to Metabase and just trying out the OpenSource version to see if it might be of use for the company I work for.

Currently running Metabase v0.43.2 on Win7pro using the .jar

I have a problem with a particular Question that I have created. After Saving on a number of occasions I now get the following error message displayed whenever I Save the question after amending it:

"Failed to execute 'setItem' on 'Storage': Setting the value of '@@History/4o1ugv' exceeded the quota."

The question is still saved though.

Any help/advice most welcome.

Thank you
Ian

Hi @ianmacey

Post "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.

I have no idea what that error is referring to, but doesn't look like it's coming from Metabase, but some reverse-proxy or browser extension.
Check the logs for full errors - Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs.

Here is the Diagnostic Info:

{
"browser-info": {
"language": "en",
"platform": "MacIntel",
"userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/102.0.0.0 Safari/537.36",
"vendor": "Google Inc."
},
"system-info": {
"file.encoding": "Cp1252",
"java.runtime.name": "Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment",
"java.runtime.version": "1.8.0_191-b12",
"java.vendor": "Oracle Corporation",
"java.vendor.url": "http://java.oracle.com/",
"java.version": "1.8.0_191",
"java.vm.name": "Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM",
"java.vm.version": "25.191-b12",
"os.name": "Windows 7",
"os.version": "6.1",
"user.language": "en",
"user.timezone": "Europe/London"
},
"metabase-info": {
"databases": [
"h2",
"sqlserver"
],
"hosting-env": "unknown",
"application-database": "h2",
"application-database-details": {
"database": {
"name": "H2",
"version": "1.4.197 (2018-03-18)"
},
"jdbc-driver": {
"name": "H2 JDBC Driver",
"version": "1.4.197 (2018-03-18)"
}
},
"run-mode": "prod",
"version": {
"tag": "v0.43.2",
"date": "2022-05-31",
"branch": "release-x.43.x",
"hash": "433d533"
},
"settings": {
"report-timezone": null
}
}
}

@ianmacey
I don't know what "saving on a number of occasions" means. How many times are you changing the questions and saving them?
It's the first time I've seen this error, which seems to be the internal browser storage limits, and given that there's many thousands of Metabase installations each with unknown amount of users, then I'm guessing it's something on your system or something very specific you do to trigger this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23977690/setting-the-value-of-dataurl-exceeded-the-quota

Try another browser, or Incognito-mode without extensions.
You should upgrade to Java 11: https://www.metabase.com/docs/latest/operations-guide/java-versions.html

1 Like

Flamber,

Thank you very much for your response. I now believe it might be to do with my browser, as I shut the laptop down and when I came back to it I could not replicate the issue. No error message being displayed when saving the question.

Once again, thanks and regards,
Ian