Error when passing filter from dashboard to query

I installed the last version v.046.1, and I'm facing a regression compared to v.0.44.6.

I made a new native query (using MongoDB) that contains a variable filter of type 'text'. When playing with the filter within the query, everything works fine.

Then I created a new dashboard, and included my query in it. I also added a new filter on the dashboard, of type "input box", with single value allowed. Then I linked that filter to the one of the query.

However, when I using the filter in the dashboard, it's impossible to display the results of the query. Instead I see an error message "There was a problem displaying this chart".

When I include my query in an old dashboard (created under v0.44.6) that also contained a filter of type 'text', then it works fine.

So I think that there's something wrong with the new management of filters at the level of dashboards.

Hi, I just tested with the sample DB and it works

can you send us what you did?

Hi,

Please find the native query and the complete log here under.

In the query, there's a variable filter of type text, that is required, and the default value is a space. The query (for MongoDB) begins with a "addFileds" stage, in which I indicate that if the filter is space, I want it to be initialized with the current year. When I test the query, with or without a value in the filter, it works fine.

[
    {
        $addFields: {
            yearFilterString: {
                $cond: [ 
                    { $eq:  [ {{yearFilter}}, " "] },
                    { $toString: {$year: new Date() } },
                    {{yearFilter}}
                    ]
            }
        }
    },
    {
        $addFields: {
            yearFilterInt: { $toInt: "$yearFilterString" },
            firstDayYearFilter: {$dateFromString: { dateString: {$concat: [ "$yearFilterString", "-01-01"] } } },
            firstDayPreviousYear: {$dateSubtract: {startDate: {$dateFromString: { dateString: {$concat: [ "$yearFilterString", "-01-01"] } } }, unit: "year", amount: 1 } }
        }
    },
    {
        $match: { 
            $or: [
                { $and: [
                    { $expr: { $eq: [ "$yearFilterInt", {$year: new Date() } ] } },
                    { $expr: { $gte: [ "$date", "$firstDayYearFilter" ] } },
                    { $expr: { $lte: [ "$date", new Date() ] } }
                    ]
                },
                    { $expr: { $eq: [ "$yearFilterInt", {$year: new Date() } ] } },
                    { $expr: { $gte: [ "$date", "$firstDayPreviousYear" ] } },
                    { $expr: { $lte: [ "$date", {$dateSubtract: {startDate: new Date(), unit: "year", amount: 1 } } ] } }
                    ]
                },
                    { $expr: { $ne: [ "$yearFilterInt", {$year: new Date() } ] } },
                    { $expr: { $eq: [ "$year", "$yearFilterInt" ] } }
                    ]
                },
                    { $expr: { $ne: [ "$yearFilterInt", {$year: new Date() } ] } },
                    { $expr: { $eq: [ "$year", { $subtract: ["$yearFilterInt", 1] } ] } }
                    ]
                }
                ]
        }
    },
    {
        $project: {
            locality: 1,
            year: 1,
            "amountY": {$cond: [{$eq: ["$year", "$yearFilterInt"]}, "$feeNetAmount", 0]},
            "amountY-1": {$cond: [{$eq: ["$year", { $subtract: ["$yearFilterInt", 1] }]}, "$feeNetAmount", 0]}
        }
    },
    {
        $group: {
            _id: {
                locality: "$locality"
            },
            "NBI": { $sum: "$amountY" },
            "NBI Y-1": { $sum: "$amountY-1" }
        }
    },
    {
        $sort: { _id: 1 }
    },
    {
        $project: {
            _id: 0,
            locality: "$_id.locality",
            "NBI": 1,
            "NBI Y-1": 1
        }
    },
    {
        "$addFields": { 
            Evolution: {
                $round: [
                    { $multiply: [
                        { $divide: [
                            { $subtract: [
                                "$NBI", 
                                "$NBI Y-1"
                                ]
                            },
                            "$NBI Y-1"
                            ]
                        }, 
                        ]
                    },
                    ]
            }
        }
    }
]

Then in my dashboard, I have a filter of type "input box / single value" , which is linked to the filter of my query.

When putting a value in that filter at the level of the dashboard, I have the following error in the logs (but if I put the same value in the filter of the query directly, it works).

[a5f2f6e5-d057-4458-aa3b-4737398921c0] 2023-04-17T10:21:06+02:00 ERROR metabase.query-processor.middleware.catch-exceptions Error processing query: Command failed with error 16020 (Location16020): 'Invalid $addFields :: caused by :: Expression $in takes exactly 2 arguments. 1 were passed in.' on server dxp-pm2dev-db-mongodb-shard-00-02.autgf.mongodb.net:27017. The full response is {"ok": 0.0, "errmsg": "Invalid $addFields :: caused by :: Expression $in takes exactly 2 arguments. 1 were passed in.", "code": 16020, "codeName": "Location16020", "$clusterTime": {"clusterTime": {"$timestamp": {"t": 1681719664, "i": 1}}, "signature": {"hash": {"$binary": "8L9F27h+8kvZoTmcZbrxxrPoGWw=", "$type": "00"}, "keyId": {"$numberLong": "7185157227357929478"}}}, "operationTime": {"$timestamp": {"t": 1681719664, "i": 1}}}
{:database_id 2,
 :started_at #t "2023-04-17T08:21:05.818583Z[GMT]",
 :json_query
 {:constraints {:max-results 10000, :max-results-bare-rows 2000},
  :type :native,
  :middleware {:js-int-to-string? true, :ignore-cached-results? false},
  :native
  {:template-tags
   {"yearFilter"
    {:id "f676671c-0fb0-e04b-c44f-26bb80af805b",
     :name "yearFilter",
     :display-name "Yearfilter",
     :type :text,
     :required true,
     :default " "}},
   :query
   "[\r\n    {\r\n        $addFields: {\r\n            yearFilterString: {\r\n                $cond: [ \r\n                    { $eq:  [ {{yearFilter}}, \" \"] },\r\n                    { $toString: {$year: new Date() } },\r\n                    {{yearFilter}}\r\n                    ]\r\n            }\r\n        }\r\n    },\r\n    {\r\n        $addFields: {\r\n            yearFilterInt: { $toInt: \"$yearFilterString\" },\r\n            firstDayYearFilter: {$dateFromString: { dateString: {$concat: [ \"$yearFilterString\", \"-01-01\"] } } },\r\n            firstDayPreviousYear: {$dateSubtract: {startDate: {$dateFromString: { dateString: {$concat: [ \"$yearFilterString\", \"-01-01\"] } } }, unit: \"year\", amount: 1 } }\r\n        }\r\n    },\r\n    {\r\n        $match: { \r\n            $or: [\r\n                { $and: [\r\n                    { $expr: { $eq: [ \"$yearFilterInt\", {$year: new Date() } ] } },\r\n                    { $expr: { $gte: [ \"$date\", \"$firstDayYearFilter\" ] } },\r\n                    { $expr: { $lte: [ \"$date\", new Date() ] } }\r\n                    ]\r\n                },\r\n                { $and: [\r\n                    { $expr: { $eq: [ \"$yearFilterInt\", {$year: new Date() } ] } },\r\n                    { $expr: { $gte: [ \"$date\", \"$firstDayPreviousYear\" ] } },\r\n                    { $expr: { $lte: [ \"$date\", {$dateSubtract: {startDate: new Date(), unit: \"year\", amount: 1 } } ] } }\r\n                    ]\r\n                },\r\n                { $and: [\r\n                    { $expr: { $ne: [ \"$yearFilterInt\", {$year: new Date() } ] } },\r\n                    { $expr: { $eq: [ \"$year\", \"$yearFilterInt\" ] } }\r\n                    ]\r\n                },\r\n                { $and: [\r\n                    { $expr: { $ne: [ \"$yearFilterInt\", {$year: new Date() } ] } },\r\n                    { $expr: { $eq: [ \"$year\", { $subtract: [\"$yearFilterInt\", 1] } ] } }\r\n                    ]\r\n                }\r\n                ]\r\n        }\r\n    },\r\n    {\r\n        $project: {\r\n            locality: 1,\r\n            year: 1,\r\n            \"amountY\": {$cond: [{$eq: [\"$year\", \"$yearFilterInt\"]}, \"$feeNetAmount\", 0]},\r\n            \"amountY-1\": {$cond: [{$eq: [\"$year\", { $subtract: [\"$yearFilterInt\", 1] }]}, \"$feeNetAmount\", 0]}\r\n        }\r\n    },\r\n    {\r\n        $group: {\r\n            _id: {\r\n                locality: \"$locality\"\r\n            },\r\n            \"NBI\": { $sum: \"$amountY\" },\r\n            \"NBI Y-1\": { $sum: \"$amountY-1\" }\r\n        }\r\n    },\r\n    {\r\n        $sort: { _id: 1 }\r\n    },\r\n    {\r\n        $project: {\r\n            _id: 0,\r\n            locality: \"$_id.locality\",\r\n            \"NBI\": 1,\r\n            \"NBI Y-1\": 1\r\n        }\r\n    },\r\n    {\r\n        \"$addFields\": { \r\n            Evolution: {\r\n                $round: [\r\n                    { $multiply: [\r\n                        { $divide: [\r\n                            { $subtract: [\r\n                                \"$NBI\", \r\n                                \"$NBI Y-1\"\r\n                                ]\r\n                            },\r\n                            \"$NBI Y-1\"\r\n                            ]\r\n                        }, \r\n                        100\r\n                        ]\r\n                    },\r\n                    2\r\n                    ]\r\n            }\r\n        }\r\n    }\r\n]",
   :collection "net_banking_income"},
  :database 2,
  :parameters [{:type :string/=, :value ["2022"], :id "84cf96b9", :target [:variable [:template-tag "yearFilter"]]}],
  :async? true,
  :cache-ttl nil},
 :status :failed,
 :class com.mongodb.MongoCommandException,
 :stacktrace
 ["com.mongodb.internal.connection.ProtocolHelper.getCommandFailureException(ProtocolHelper.java:175)"
  "com.mongodb.internal.connection.InternalStreamConnection.receiveCommandMessageResponse(InternalStreamConnection.java:302)"
  "com.mongodb.internal.connection.InternalStreamConnection.sendAndReceive(InternalStreamConnection.java:258)"
  "com.mongodb.internal.connection.UsageTrackingInternalConnection.sendAndReceive(UsageTrackingInternalConnection.java:99)"
  "com.mongodb.internal.connection.DefaultConnectionPool$PooledConnection.sendAndReceive(DefaultConnectionPool.java:450)"
  "com.mongodb.internal.connection.CommandProtocolImpl.execute(CommandProtocolImpl.java:72)"
  "com.mongodb.internal.connection.DefaultServer$DefaultServerProtocolExecutor.execute(DefaultServer.java:226)"
  "com.mongodb.internal.connection.DefaultServerConnection.executeProtocol(DefaultServerConnection.java:269)"
  "com.mongodb.internal.connection.DefaultServerConnection.command(DefaultServerConnection.java:131)"
  "com.mongodb.internal.connection.DefaultServerConnection.command(DefaultServerConnection.java:123)"
  "com.mongodb.operation.CommandOperationHelper.executeCommand(CommandOperationHelper.java:343)"
  "com.mongodb.operation.CommandOperationHelper.executeCommand(CommandOperationHelper.java:334)"
  "com.mongodb.operation.CommandOperationHelper.executeCommandWithConnection(CommandOperationHelper.java:220)"
  "com.mongodb.operation.CommandOperationHelper$5.call(CommandOperationHelper.java:206)"
  "com.mongodb.operation.OperationHelper.withReadConnectionSource(OperationHelper.java:463)"
  "com.mongodb.operation.CommandOperationHelper.executeCommand(CommandOperationHelper.java:203)"
  "com.mongodb.operation.AggregateOperationImpl.execute(AggregateOperationImpl.java:200)"
  "com.mongodb.operation.AggregateOperation.execute(AggregateOperation.java:333)"
  "com.mongodb.operation.AggregateOperation.execute(AggregateOperation.java:42)"
  "com.mongodb.client.internal.MongoClientDelegate$DelegateOperationExecutor.execute(MongoClientDelegate.java:199)"
  "com.mongodb.client.internal.MongoClientDelegate$DelegateOperationExecutor.execute(MongoClientDelegate.java:180)"
  "com.mongodb.DBCollection.aggregate(DBCollection.java:1530)"
  "com.mongodb.DBCollection.aggregate(DBCollection.java:1488)"
  "com.mongodb.DBCollection.aggregate(DBCollection.java:1473)"
  "--> driver.mongo.execute$aggregate.invokeStatic(execute.clj:142)"
  "driver.mongo.execute$aggregate.invoke(execute.clj:136)"
  "driver.mongo.execute$execute_reducible_query.invokeStatic(execute.clj:179)"
  "driver.mongo.execute$execute_reducible_query.invoke(execute.clj:173)"
  "driver.mongo$fn__120589$f__119411__auto____120590.invoke(mongo.clj:308)"
  "driver.mongo.util$do_with_mongo_connection$fn__119399.invoke(util.clj:230)"
  "util.ssh$do_with_ssh_tunnel.invokeStatic(ssh.clj:141)"
  "util.ssh$do_with_ssh_tunnel.invoke(ssh.clj:130)"
  "driver.mongo.util$do_with_mongo_connection.invokeStatic(util.clj:224)"
  "driver.mongo.util$do_with_mongo_connection.invoke(util.clj:219)"
  "driver.mongo$fn__120589.invokeStatic(mongo.clj:307)"
  "driver.mongo$fn__120589.invoke(mongo.clj:305)"
  "query_processor.context$executef.invokeStatic(context.clj:60)"
  "query_processor.context$executef.invoke(context.clj:49)"
  "query_processor.context.default$default_runf.invokeStatic(default.clj:68)"
  "query_processor.context.default$default_runf.invoke(default.clj:66)"
  "query_processor.context$runf.invokeStatic(context.clj:46)"
  "query_processor.context$runf.invoke(context.clj:40)"
  "query_processor.reducible$identity_qp.invokeStatic(reducible.clj:15)"
  "query_processor.reducible$identity_qp.invoke(reducible.clj:12)"
  "query_processor.middleware.cache$maybe_return_cached_results$maybe_return_cached_results_STAR___69171.invoke(cache.clj:224)"
  "query_processor.middleware.permissions$check_query_permissions$fn__64643.invoke(permissions.clj:126)"
  "query_processor.middleware.mbql_to_native$mbql__GT_native$fn__68062.invoke(mbql_to_native.clj:24)"
  "query_processor$fn__70690$combined_post_process__70695$combined_post_process_STAR___70696.invoke(query_processor.clj:243)"
  "query_processor$fn__70690$combined_pre_process__70691$combined_pre_process_STAR___70692.invoke(query_processor.clj:240)"
  "query_processor.middleware.resolve_database_and_driver$resolve_database_and_driver$fn__69082$fn__69087.invoke(resolve_database_and_driver.clj:36)"
  "driver$do_with_driver.invokeStatic(driver.clj:90)"
  "driver$do_with_driver.invoke(driver.clj:86)"
  "query_processor.middleware.resolve_database_and_driver$resolve_database_and_driver$fn__69082.invoke(resolve_database_and_driver.clj:35)"
  "query_processor.middleware.fetch_source_query$resolve_card_id_source_tables$fn__64952.invoke(fetch_source_query.clj:310)"
  "query_processor.middleware.store$initialize_store$fn__65130$fn__65131.invoke(store.clj:12)"
  "query_processor.store$do_with_store.invokeStatic(store.clj:47)"
  "query_processor.store$do_with_store.invoke(store.clj:41)"
  "query_processor.middleware.store$initialize_store$fn__65130.invoke(store.clj:11)"
  "query_processor.middleware.normalize_query$normalize$fn__69371.invoke(normalize_query.clj:25)"
  "query_processor.middleware.constraints$add_default_userland_constraints$fn__66308.invoke(constraints.clj:54)"
  "query_processor.middleware.process_userland_query$process_userland_query$fn__69307.invoke(process_userland_query.clj:150)"
  "query_processor.middleware.catch_exceptions$catch_exceptions$fn__69684.invoke(catch_exceptions.clj:171)"
  "query_processor.reducible$async_qp$qp_STAR___59455$thunk__59457.invoke(reducible.clj:103)"
  "query_processor.reducible$async_qp$qp_STAR___59455$fn__59459.invoke(reducible.clj:108)"],
 :card_id 88,
 :context :dashboard,
 :error
 "Command failed with error 16020 (Location16020): 'Invalid $addFields :: caused by :: Expression $in takes exactly 2 arguments. 1 were passed in.' on server dxp-pm2dev-db-mongodb-shard-00-02.autgf.mongodb.net:27017. The full response is {\"ok\": 0.0, \"errmsg\": \"Invalid $addFields :: caused by :: Expression $in takes exactly 2 arguments. 1 were passed in.\", \"code\": 16020, \"codeName\": \"Location16020\", \"$clusterTime\": {\"clusterTime\": {\"$timestamp\": {\"t\": 1681719664, \"i\": 1}}, \"signature\": {\"hash\": {\"$binary\": \"8L9F27h+8kvZoTmcZbrxxrPoGWw=\", \"$type\": \"00\"}, \"keyId\": {\"$numberLong\": \"7185157227357929478\"}}}, \"operationTime\": {\"$timestamp\": {\"t\": 1681719664, \"i\": 1}}}",
 :row_count 0,
 :running_time 0,
 :data {:rows [], :cols []}}

[a5f2f6e5-d057-4458-aa3b-4737398921c0] 2023-04-17T10:21:06+02:00 DEBUG metabase.server.middleware.log POST /api/dashboard/20/dashcard/138/card/88/query 202 [ASYNC: completed] 473.7 ms (12 DB calls) App DB connections: 0/15 Jetty threads: 2/50 (6 idle, 0 queued) (118 total active threads) Queries in flight: 0 (0 queued)

I think you're hitting "$regex has to be a string" when using text filters on dashboards on MongoDB · Issue #30136 · metabase/metabase · GitHub