External connection to port 3000

Hi MB team,

With intent to access my MB instance remotely, i have opened port 3000 in the router and windows for my remote PC ip address. However when i invoke the browser, i get error message: ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR and the page doesn’t open. Any ideas on this?

best regards,
Chuck

…using H2 database for now.

sorry, the above was with Chrome. With Firefox something more elaborate was returned
An error occurred during a connection to orders.pizza-bello.com:3037. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Hi @crwheelr
A couple of things. You should set the Site URL in Admin > Settings > General, to match what your URL is.
And you’re most likely seeing the error because you’re trying to access Metabase with https, but you’re not using a certificate.
Since you’re using Apache, then you can setup another sub-domain (metabase.pizza-bello.com) and use Apache as a reverse-proxy to Metabase. Then the users don’t have to input a port, and you can even setup Let’s Encrypt to get free certificates.

@flamber,

SUCCESS! works lovely with the subdomain,. This is a big breakthrough for me to access reporting remotely form my restaurants.

many thanks,
Chuck.