Feedback on version 0.33

@DannyK That’s a bug, follow it in https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10787

@maz, it has been quite a long time, but I can second Andrew on the issue with bugs in new releases. Most of the time I choose not to adopt a new release right away, exactly because I know there will be some bugs, and some of them might affect my users quite bad. That is okay-ish for me as a single user, but, if many others metabase administrators adopt a similar stance, it will be impossible to spot those bugs in the first release. I know that, by just passively waiting for the improvement of the product, I’m not really contributing to it - despite that, I can’t expose the users of our company to some problematic software behaviour, specially considering an already working one (the natural question is “why did you change things? They were working before!”.

That said, though, I don’t think any of you devs should be ashamed or something. I’ve been following metabase since a year and such, and the experience has been nothing but wonderful. The product is already great, andd has a very great potential as well. Surely needs refinements in some areas, but it is going from good to the better.

2 Likes

Hey, @lucas.lima! Good to hear from you.

Yep, we’ve definitely heard from the community over the last few months that bugs in Metabase are starting to cause some noticeable friction. That’s why we immediately began a bug bash of all top priority (P1) bugs as soon as we were done releasing version 0.33. We’ve already closed 52 of them, and have around 14 to go. Our goal is to maintain a new status quo of no P1 bugs while we then start chipping away at the backlog of P2 bugs.

Along with that, we’re taking a look at our current automated testing story, and looking for areas of the product that are under-tested.

I’m glad to hear that your experience with Metabase has been wonderful. :slight_smile: We’re aiming to make it even more wonderful by continuing to improve its reliability, stability, performance, and ease of use.

Cheers,
Maz

3 Likes

I tend to run two instances. One that is for the majority of users who would not tolerate bugs and the other instance for power users who are more understanding and interested in “What’s next”.

Great, should I open a GH issue, as I guess it is a feature technically, disable-auto-selection-of-pointless-visualization or just-tables-always-tables-unless-someone-says-otherwise-explicitly or is this in the pipeline for next release? In one example, we’ve taken to naming of table column with CUNTryid instead of countryId to avoid the damn selection of the map, although I need to check if that’s worked…

2 Likes

@mattf Would probably be best with it’s own feature request - please post a link here after.
EDIT: Looks like there’s already one open, but not sure if it covers your issue exactly: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10957

For anyone interested in what @mottalrd talked about - results getting overlayed/greyed, when editing the query in Native question, there’s a request open on that, so go and upvote by clicking :+ on the first post:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10975

@maz
Right now I’m dealing with a combination of two bugs (or limitations?) and doing workarounds based on that. Is related to this post so I’ll explain over here and maybe you can give me some guidance.

1. As of 0.33.3 there is no drill-down feature for Native queries. Workaround: For this I’m creating a raw query and then creating Custom queries using that as a Nested query.
  2. When I want to add filters to a dashboard that was created using a nested query no filters are available (“No valid fields” message shows up). Potential workaround: don’t use raw queries, but that has a big limitations and is not compatible with 1) workaround.

Are there bugs filled for this?
I don’t think 1) is big issue but 2) is a big problem, any other workarounds here? I can give steps to reproduce if needed.

Thanks

Hey, @fera320.

Yes, #1 is a limitation that is unlikely to change for a while. Your workaround for getting drill-through to work is what we recommend.

#2 also appears to be a limitation rather than a bug: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/9802
I’m going to see if the team can take a look at this one soon, as I agree it hampers use of nested queries.

I see, depending how you think of nested queries can be a limitation or a bug.

Thanks, upvoted the issue on github. Appreciate looking into prioritizing that.

@maz Regarding #2, do you have an idea for when this will be done? Even if a rough time frame will be helpful for us. Not sure if I should ask here or on github, otherwise let me know.

Hey, @fera320. We’re currently primarily focused in the short-term on fixing explicit high priority bugs and performance issues. For the next major release though (v0.34), we’re currently planning on addressing long-standing or frequently-encountered UX issues and obvious gaps in functionality. Issue 9802 is a strong contender in the latter category. So my current guess is it’ll be tackled ~1+ months from now rather than 1+ days or weeks from now.

1 Like