Fields value not updated

Hi there, I want to share the problem on our Metabase in Production. The problem is we have a table with column (field) set as a Category on the field type and the filter type as "list all values". But we found the dashboard doesn't list the value when there is a new value.

This is the diagnostic info for our Metabase 
       {
      "browser-info": {
        "language": "en-US",
        "platform": "MacIntel",
        "userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/104.0.0.0 Safari/537.36",
        "vendor": "Google Inc."
      },
      "system-info": {
        "file.encoding": "UTF-8",
        "java.runtime.name": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
        "java.runtime.version": "11.0.14.1+1",
        "java.vendor": "Eclipse Adoptium",
        "java.vendor.url": "https://adoptium.net/",
        "java.version": "11.0.14.1",
        "java.vm.name": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
        "java.vm.version": "11.0.14.1+1",
        "os.name": "Linux",
        "os.version": "5.10.109+",
        "user.language": "en",
        "user.timezone": "UTC"
      },
      "metabase-info": {
        "databases": [
          "postgres",
          "presto",
          "bigquery-cloud-sdk",
          "bigquery",
          "h2"
        ],
        "hosting-env": "unknown",
        "application-database": "postgres",
        "application-database-details": {
          "database": {
            "name": "PostgreSQL",
            "version": "12.11"
          },
          "jdbc-driver": {
            "name": "PostgreSQL JDBC Driver",
            "version": "42.2.23"
          }
        },
        "run-mode": "prod",
        "version": {
          "date": "2022-02-28",
          "tag": "v0.42.2",
          "branch": "release-x.42.x",
          "hash": "d6ff494"
        },
        "settings": {
          "report-timezone": "UTC"
        }
      }
    }

Also found this information in our Job status.

And found on our metabase database, the update field task last trigger on July (coincidence with the BLOCKED status ?). But the field is synced.

My hypothesis, this field value is not updated due to the update job and I don't understand why. Because the scheduler for the presto database is already set for fields & database.

Currently, just by manual click sync field on data model for that specific field will help this situation.

Hi @kadekjati
You are seeing this issue - restart Metabase:
https://github.com/metabase/metabase/issues/10088 - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post
Latest release is 0.44.0: https://github.com/metabase/metabase/releases/latest

So you are saying we just need to restart Metabase instance and everything will be works again ?

And what does it mean latest release 0.44 ? Does it mean on this version the issue will be fixed ?

@kadekjati Yes, restart. It means you are using a release from February, while the latest release is from August. The issue is not fixed in latest release.

1 Like

Still don't understand why you mention our release on february. Yes it is, because we still have the trial for newest release before upgrade.

Ok then, if the solution is just to restart. But, how could I know when this will happen @flamber ? I just want to ahead the curve before user know this is happened.

@kadekjati The only way would be to make queries against the application database to see if the qrtz_triggers.next_fire_time is less than now().

1 Like

Sorry, what do you mean by "qrtz_triggers.next_fire_time" , you mean just convert the next_fire_time into a time format and check whether it is not running up to today ya ?

@kadekjati Don't try to change anything in the appdb. But you just check if it hasn't run for a while, then restart.

We already restart the metabase instance, but in the next day, we did have this issue again. Do we need to refresh the instance daily ?

@kadekjati It's difficult to tell, you'll need to look through the logs and figure out why your instance end up with a stale scheduler. It should only happen rarely. If your setup is very busy, then look at https://www.metabase.com/learn/administration/metabase-at-scale.html

I have the same problem, and I checked the logs and found that the field value update operation for a certain database was not executed at the time point that was set to be triggered, but other trigger operations were proceeding normally.

@flamber @kadekjati Can someone help me? :heart: