Google Analytics integration not allowing selecting different metrics

Hey all,
Have read some of the post and believe this is not an uncommon issue.

I have set up and synced a google analytics connection (Universal analytics)
I can download the default data, tables and views etc. However as soon as i try to add a different metric than users or pageviews i am unable to.

I have tried to resync the data but not luck, after looking at the most common errors here it seem to be a bug in old version but should all been sorted now, any tips are welcome.

  "browser-info": {
"language": "en-GB",
"platform": "MacIntel",
"userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.114 Safari/537.36",
"vendor": "Google Inc."
  "system-info": {
"file.encoding": "UTF-8",
"": "OpenJDK Runtime Environment",
"java.runtime.version": "11.0.11+9",
"java.vendor": "AdoptOpenJDK",
"java.vendor.url": "",
"java.version": "11.0.11",
"": "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM",
"java.vm.version": "11.0.11+9",
"": "Linux",
"os.version": "4.14.225-168.357.amzn2.x86_64",
"user.language": "en",
"user.timezone": "GMT"
  "metabase-info": {
"databases": [
"hosting-env": "unknown",
"application-database": "postgres",
"application-database-details": {
  "database": {
    "name": "PostgreSQL",
    "version": "10.14"
  "jdbc-driver": {
    "name": "PostgreSQL JDBC Driver",
    "version": "42.2.18"
"run-mode": "prod",
"version": {
  "date": "2021-06-15",
  "tag": "v0.39.4",
  "branch": "release-x.39.x",
  "hash": "f538050"
"settings": {
  "report-timezone": "Europe/London"

Hi @FredW
What does "i am unable to" mean? Do you get errors?
Currently Metabase only support GA version 3, so if you are using version 4, then that might be the reason: - upvote by clicking :+1: on the first post

Hey @flamber,
first of all thank you for your quick reply!

When clikin on the plus sign a pop up never opened, this behaviour have changed today so not sure why but work ok (ish) now... getting 502 about every 5-6 hours so will need to investigate this, but for now this can be close, once again thanks!

When you connect a database the first time, Metabase tries to sync the information, which can sometimes take a long time, so that was likely why you were seeing errors that disappeared overnight.
Post "Diagnostic Info" from Admin > Troubleshooting.
Post the full error from Admin > Troubleshooting > Logs.