Grouping the total number of a distinct count on a column by account ID

Hello everyone!

Could really use some help trying to figure this one out. The database we're using is Postgres 9.6.x

I'm trying to figure out the total number of accounts by looking up a "company domain" in the database, and then grouping that number by account id.

So, to start off, if I do a simple query that gives me the total number of accounts on that domain when I type in the domain into the text variable field.

SELECT 
    COUNT(DISTINCT(users.email)) AS count
FROM users
JOIN accounts
    ON accounts.id = users.account_id
WHERE true 
    AND users.account_owner IS NOT false
    [[AND 
        CASE
            WHEN users.email = accounts.billing_email THEN accounts.billing_email LIKE CONCAT('%',{{users_email_address}},'%')
            WHEN users.email != accounts.billing_email THEN users.email LIKE CONCAT('%',{{users_email_address}},'%')
            ELSE users.email LIKE CONCAT('%',{{users_email_address}},'%') OR accounts.billing_email LIKE CONCAT('%',{{users_email_address}},'%')
        END]]

Now, if I want to group by account ID, I modify the query slightly so now I get a column with all the account ID's and the "Distinct Count" of the accounts on that domain in the other column, which of course works out to 1 for each domain, as such:

SELECT
    accounts.id,
FROM users
JOIN accounts
WHERE true 
    [[AND 
        CASE
            WHEN users.email = accounts.billing_email THEN accounts.billing_email LIKE CONCAT('%',{{users_email_address}},'%')
            WHEN users.email != accounts.billing_email THEN users.email LIKE CONCAT('%',{{users_email_address}},'%')
            ELSE users.email LIKE CONCAT('%',{{users_email_address}},'%') OR accounts.billing_email LIKE CONCAT('%',{{users_email_address}},'%')
        END]]
GROUP BY accounts.id

Ok, so basically, I want to show the SUM or the total for each domain, listed for every single account ID that matches, rather than the distinct values. I got close to doing this by modifying the query even further and using subqueries, but the problem is that even though the total appears on the second column, it's not filtering the matching account id's accordingly, and is instead showing that value to all account id's in the database.

SELECT
    sub_q3.*,
    (SELECT 
        SUM(count)
    FROM (    
        SELECT 
            accounts.id,
        FROM users
        JOIN accounts
        WHERE true 
            [[AND 
                CASE
                END
            ]]
        GROUP BY accounts.id
        ) sub_q1
    ) sub_q2
 FROM (
    SELECT account_id
    FROM users
    GROUP BY account_id
 ) sub_q3

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @DCamps
I might slightly be missing something, but shouldn't you do DISTINCT(users.id) ?
It's a little difficult to understand how your data is structured, but it's not really a Metabase specific question, so you might find better help in a forum dedicated to your database type.