How to turn off "Native JSON record support in Postgres" feature introduced recently

Since this native JSON parsing for columns has been introduced, a column JSON field has now turned into multiple columns with keys of that JSON field. For example, a column called "extra_details" had JSON records and now we have a column for each key in that column like this:

How do we turn this feature off so that instead of these multiple columns, we get only a column that we initially had, i.e "extra_details".

Thank you!

@khushi.m You can disable JSON unfolding in Admin > Databases > (db) > Show advanced options > disable "Unfold JSON columns", click "Save changes", then click "Sync database schema now".
Then you'll have to show the JSON columns, which has been hidden from normal view in Admin > Data Model > (db) > (table) > select Visibility="Everywhere" instead of "Only in details view".

1 Like

Sorry to bump this old post but it seemed the right place to ask. We only recently (last month or two) upgraded to the version of metabase that now has this feature.

It's useful (sometimes), but not (in others). In particular it's very useful in some cases where the JSON is actually a well formed and 'simple' structure.

However we also have some tables (such as logging tables) where the data that might be in that JSON column can vary wildly (and hence why it's JSON vs structured columns).

I just wanted to check to confirm (as I don't see it) that there isn't a way to turn off this unfolding on a per table basis? (or even more granular, like a per column basis?)

I'd hate to turn off the feature completely as there are some tables that it's amazing to have this on. But others that are making the tables unusable in the UX/UI because of the flood of options (and where they aren't even useful since it's only scanning 500 rows, and so they are based upon those 500 rows only which might not match other rows)

That will be included in v47

Oh, that's awesome to hear!